Heart Disease Community
Caridac cath

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Caridac cath

Hi, I am a 40 year old female who was just yesterday diagnosed with "moderate" atrial eschism (Spelling?) and was told by my dr that I needed a cardiac cath soon.  I have no family history of heart disease, don't smoke, and my cholesterol was fine the last time it was checked (last Fall).  I also am an avid runner.  I do have a good deal of stress in my life.  Right now I am just in shock that this is happening.  I have read up about the cath procedure as much as I could and I understand what is to be done, but I have questions that aren't "procedural".  How does this condition affect my life expectancy?  What can I expect in the weeks and or months after the procedure?  What are the risks of the cath and is there any chance at all that life will go back to normal?  Thanks so much for your feedback.
I can't answer all your questions, but I did have a cardiac catheterization for other reasons. I was very scared of the procedure but it wasn't a big deal. They give you good drugs during the procedure to make you feel relaxed and sleepy. Afterwards you can't move for six hours...and that's pretty much it. There are some risks, but it is rare for anything serious to go wrong during the procedure. As for the procedure itself, it should not effect your life afterwards. Not knowing anything about moderate atrial eschsim, I can't say for sure, but with most heart patients I know who don't have any disabling symptoms and who are in otherwise good health, your life going back to normal is completely up to you and how you let this diagosis effect you psychologically. Hopefully someone else whose more learned will pipe in. Good luck and God bless. Try not to worry!