Heart Disease Expert Forum
Coronary Artery Spasm

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Coronary Artery Spasm

I get Angina-like chest pain upon exertion, in cold weather and from extreme stress.  Nitroclycerin helps to alleviate the pain normally.  I have been evaluated thoroughly and have recently (2006) had a R&L heart Cath. and my Coronary Ateries clear of any plaque.  My congenital heart doctor is guessing that the Angina is caused from Coronary Artery Spasms (variant angina).  My Questions:

1) is there a way to determine this definitively?
2) is CAS dangerous?
3) is this something that can be "fixed"?

Thank you

1.  This can be proven with another catheterization utilizing ergonovine, a medication, that can precipitate coronary vasospasm.
2.  Life expectancy in patient with this condition is similar to that of the general population, meaning that there is no increased mortality.
3.  The only way to treat this condition is by eliminating stress, tobacco exposure, staying away form cold temps and taking meds such as calcium channel blockers and long acting nitrates.  
I had a coronary artery spasm 3 years ago to this day.  Since then I've dropped 25 lbs, am below the suggested threshold for weight for my height, I exercise and take a calcium channel blocker.  I am happy to say that I have never had a second episode in the 3 years since.

Consider covering every base you can and possibly you can reduce/eliminate future risk of spasms.

Good luck!