Heart Disease Expert Forum
Could it be something else?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Could it be something else?

I was wondering if the symptoms of CHF could be something else. I have all of the symptoms except for high blood pressure, sudden weight gain and significant swelling.  It will be several weeks until I can get to a doctor so I have been trying to take care of myself until then. But in reviewing the symptoms I was wondering [hoping?] that perhaps my symptoms could be something else....

I should mention the symptoms I have been experiencing: shortness of breath doing ordinary, simple things that in the past did not effect me, which began about 5 weeks ago.  Coughing, especially when laying down. I have taken to sleeping with my head elevated or on the recliner just so I can rest. I have had a couple of episodes where I have awakened at night unable to breathe.
You describe classic heart failure symptoms, but as you mentioned they can also be a sign of other conditions.  One is anything involving the lung and the other is anemia.  Those two should be ruled out with a simple xray and blood work and of course you will need to have an echocardiogram to assess heart function because I still think that this is the most likely explanation.  
I like your nickname. lol. Im just wondering if they have check you for lung issues? Like asthma? Sleep Apnea? Allergies? Pneumonia?
Thank you for responding. I will make sure that they check and do all of these things , though I can rule out anemia since I just had it checked. But I'd like to be prepared for my visit which is one reason that I asked. ;-) Once again. Thank  you.
Thank you!  Lung issues shouldn't be a concern but then anything is possible.  I have never been a smoker. :)   Would allergies cause so much trouble?  Pneumonia & sleep apnea have been ruled out by my dr. But other issues involving my lungs could be involved, I suppose.

My BP has been on the low side all of my life and is only very slightly elevated now....almost normal!! LOL But that doesn't fit the profile for CHF though I suppose there are exceptions to every symptom checklist....