Heart Disease Expert Forum
Coumadin

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Coumadin

Why does my coumadin vary from week to week.

I take warafin 3mg every night. My inr comes in at 3.5 down 2.2 - is this dangerous and what can I do to better control it.

Sam
A lot of variation in INR when on warfarin therapy comes from the diet.  Simple things such as green vegetables, fruit and even alcohol can affect your INR.  The best way to prevent this is by having a regular consitent diet from week to week.  It's ok to eat salad and fruit, as long as you eat the same amount each week.  Same thing with alcohol.  you should ask whoever is checking you coumadin to give you some handouts or books that explain this better.  
My Dad's cardiologist told us Warafin is not as consistent at the brand named Coumandin.  This makes Warafin very hard to get regulated.  He took him off the generic Warafin and insisted that he should only take the brand name Coumandin.
Hi Sam,

I take coumadin and even on coumadin its like the doctor said - you have to be consistent with what you eat week to week as far as vegetables and if you drink any alcohol.   I found that having a 'coumadin dietician' was very helpful in getting my INR regulated.  Plus, they say if you change your other meds this can also throw your INR off level.   There's alot of factors that can effect your getting your INR consistent readings on this drug.   I think its worth the time to find out and your "Coumadin or Warafin Clinic" can help you.  
Best
Marilyn