Heart Disease Expert Forum
Diet

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Diet

I have a high cholesterol controlled with zocor
I hear a lot about the Dr.Atkins diet would you recommend this diet to your patients or what diet do you think is best i need to lose 80 lbs and i know several people who cut out carbs and lost weight.   thanks for any diet info.
The Atkins' diet has become very popular, but I am not a believer in its utility to improve long-term overall health yet. I think a better diet is along the lines proposed by Dr.Dean Ornish. Vegetarian diets that are low in saturated fat and processed foods are best for overall heart disease and cancer risk reduction.
I have been on the Carbohydrate Addicts Lifeplan since 1/31 and I've lost 35lbs.  This is similar to Atkins, however, you do continue to eat carbohydrates at least one time per day.  I prefer this as it is my personal opinion that it's not good for your body to be without carbs altogether.  I know some would disagree, but I feel this is not only safer, but is a diet you can LIVE with.  Good Luck!
Carla,
do you have any heart trouble. i have a-fib and high cholesterol and was wondering if a diet like this would lower my cholesterol or raise it.
I have been on the Dean Ornish diet for a couple of years and would encourage you to try this diet.  At first it is very difficult to change your behavior and way of eating.  I still from time to time have extreme difficulty.  However, I must tell you it will make a difference in your overall health and the way you feel.