Heart Disease Expert Forum
ECHOCARDIOGRAM report parameters and queries

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

I have some questions which hopefully a cardiologist can answer.

1.   I have an  echo  report on myself.  Apart  from 1.3.  mm LV  septum and  posterior wall  thickess  the echo report seems pretty normal.  The  word  'normal'  appears  against most things,   However,  I  would like to ask in particular  about
a)    'Turbulent  flow  seen in LVOT  
b)     Under  'Haemodynamic '  There are the  following
E   65 CM/S
A   50 CM/S
E   12 CM/S

MITRAL DTE   202  MS    

It does  say however that Tricuspid  Valve  Physiological TR  Normal Tricuspid  Valve
and the sxame   for Pulmonary valve

What is tthe significance of these readings ?  

What would qaulify as Diastolic  Dysfunction ?    The  temr isnt mentioned in my echo  report  but I seem to have  very easily provoked  high  diastolic  readings when under  stress, and yet I have had normal  24 hr  BP assessments.  My most recent stressed  episode produced a diatsolic of 129 mm/hg  at the  doctors  which I might have thought is a bit more  than 'white  coat'  

Anyway,  as  for this  high diastolic  tendency, it seems to  go back 30  years  to when I was  a teenager, and I was noted to have a  'foreceful beat  which appears to transmit to the apex'    I had  an ecg when I was 29 and it showds  on its face a clear  case of LVH but the  doctor  at the time wrote  that at  age  29  LVH  would not be likely  and  matters were not taken  any  further

I am wondering  though,  whether I might have had some pathological  tendency towards  develoiping LVH, being as I was felt to have a notably  foreful heart beat  and murmer ba\ck to mid  teenage years

Anyway, my main questions are  above these  details, and I'd be pleased  to receive any guidance as  to those  terms

Many thanks

There are a number of causes for LVH, of which, the most common is long-standing hypertension. Other causes include disorders of the myocardium such as hypertrphic cardiomyopathy.  Diastolic dysfunction is a term that describes a problem with the relaxation of the heart which is a result of the heart being too stiff. This does not necessarily translate to haveing a high diastolic blood pressure reading. Diastolic dysfunction is measured via a number of parameters on echocardiography including the mitral inflow pattern and tissue doppler of the MV annulus (none of which were reported above).  The report of your tricuspid valve (physiological TR) is a normal finding saying there is small degree of regurgitation that is physiologically normal.
Thank you very  much for this helpful information.   Also I was wondering about the following

E   65 CM/S
A   50 CM/S
E   12 CM/S

MITRAL DTE   202  MS  

Do these have any  significance  ?

Thank you