Heart Disease Expert Forum
Echocardiography Report

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Echocardiography Report

I am 54 yrs old, weigh 172 lbs, 6'1/2" tall and am a runner. Just received my echocardiography report. My Internal Medicine Physician discussed with me and advised me I shouldn't be concerned and did not recommend any follow up. The report states:

1. Subjective impression of normal left and right ventricular systolic function.
2. Preserved aortic valve function without significant aortic stenosis, trace amount of aortic regurgitation.
3. Mitral annular calcification with mild mitral regurgitation, appearing hemodynamically insignificant, normal left atrial size.
4. Normal right ventricular function.

There is a mitral annular calcification with a preserved opening of the mitral valve without significant mitral regurgitation.

Should I have some concern and ask for a second opinion or follow up, either now or within a specific time period, by a cardiologist?
Thanks in advance,
Dear Chief D,  

The following are the abnormalities found on your echocardiogram:
-Trace aortic regurgitation: This is an abnormal finding. Fortunately, there is a only trace leak across the aortic valve. Because of this you should take antibiotic prophylaxis prior to dental procedures. Your doctor should follow this with a yearly echocardiogram or if symptoms develop.
-Mitral annular calcification: This represents calcification near the mitral valve which occurs with aging.
-Mild mitral regurgitation: This is a very common finding and is something you should be mindful of but not worried about.

Thanks for your question,

CCF-MD-KE

Dear Dr,

I am a 45 year Old Woman,
5*6
139
Who has always been in great shape?
Last summer I was working out at the gym, (at the end of may work out) I began to get very severe and fast heart palpations, It came on with a (one thud) and then it just raced up to 199. I became very breathless unable to breathe or slow my heat rate down.

At the time I thought I was having a Panic Attack , But this continued to happen each time I worked out ,  I will be walking slow on the treadmill  ( 3.3) for about 30 Min and if I bump it up a bit It happens again.

I have become extremely anxious now because of this.

I finally went to a cardio Man (a great guy) he did really not believe me at first and did a stress test, on the stress test it happened. I have all the x-rays done and an echo.

He said my heart was fine, but I was having arrhythmias due to a short circuit in the natural pacemaker of the heart,
And put me on a aspirin a day and toprol-xl 12.mg at night, due to the fact that I was born with hypothyroidism my blood pressure is very low and he did not want to lower it to much,

My questions are:

1) If I have such low blood pressure in the first place , why and I having arrhythmias
2) I asked him if this was Panic Attacks and he said no,
3) If it is Panic can you tell the difference on the reading of the EKG on the stress test, does it show something else if its panic?
4) It seems to be happening more , but not as strong just ore frequent ,
5) I am not a pill person and leery of taking beta Blockers and medication if I really do not have to , I just want to understand better what this is > Why Is happens and How to at least control it ,
6) I really love to work out and would like to resume exercise but I am unsure if it will keep happening that the gym
I just got my echo report and it states my LVEF is approximately 50%, trace tricuspid regurgitation, and trace mitral valve regurgitation.  Regarding the mitral valve, it also says adequate leaflet excursion, and suggestion of limited echogenic density at the base of the anterior leaflet of the mitral valve. Now, from what I've read, LVEF of 50% is mild heart failure. Is this correct? Can the low LVEF be caused by my leaky valves?