Heart Disease Expert Forum
Ejection fraction less than 23%

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Ejection fraction less than 23%

My brother had by-pass surgery 10 months ago. His ejection fraction was 27% before surgery and has continued to gradually decreased. It is now 23%. He is having difficulty with stamina, shortness of breath and sleeping at night.
He is 50 years old and was in good health until he became sick with cold like symptoms. The Doctor was not sure if he had a virus  which caused the sudden onset of CHF.
I am a Regestered Nurse and worked a Cardiac Telemetry floor. I do undersand some of what is happening but I have been away from nursing for 8 years.
I'm wondering what the protocol is for the decreasing heart function is? I know that the prognosis is not very promising with the steady decline in his heart function.
As is typical with the insurance programs these days he has been told they are going to drop his coverage in March 2000. Is there a drug program for this type of patient or a insurance program that accepts these patients.
Dear Bill,

I would recommend a visit to a CHF specialist.  He may require a very complex CHF medical treatment plan.  there are drug assistance programs to help in this regard.

If he is otherwise healthy a heart transplant evaluation may even be in order.
I left a message on my brother with decresing ejection fraction, I was wondering where to go to bring him to a CHF Secialist in my area. I live in Kenosha WI between Milwaukkee WI and Chicogo IL.
Or would we be beyyer off going to Mayo Clnic which is five hour away or to the Cleveland Clinic.

Thank you for your quick response to my first question!!!!!!

With Gatitude,

Bill F.
In Chicago I woudl recommend Maria Costanza or Walter Kao all at Rush Presbyterian.  Or you are certainly welcome to see our heart failure specialists here at CCF.