Heart Disease Community
Endocarditus and Back Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Endocarditus and Back Pain

I am a 55 year old male. I was diagnosed with endocarditis and had a heart valve mended and one replaced.  Before I was diagnosed, I had severe back pain and could not walk. After being treated and having surgery my back pain went away. The pain is returning again. I had a x-ray and am awaiting an appointment for an echocardiogram. My question is: Could my back pain be a sign that the endocarditis is returning? Or is my back pain due to the fact that I contracted this infection? Please help me.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

It is difficult to predict what exactly is the cause for the back pain unless tests are done. It could be due to recurrent endocarditis. It could also be mechanical back pain, where in with movements like changes in posture, coughing and sneezing the pain is aggravated. Cough and sneezing cause the muscles to contract as a protective mechanism around the injured part and hence the pain. This is more common with small fractures or a herniated disc. So, wait for your results and good luck.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.