Heart Disease Community
Enlarged Aorta

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Enlarged Aorta

I live in the UK and my best friend and I have turned 50 this year.  He has been diagnosed with an enlarged Aorta and been told that something will need to be done within the next five years.  He seems very dismissive of this condition and I would like to investigate what options he has.  We are both big Pittsburgh Steelers and Penguins  fans and I see that there is big developments in Aorta procedures in the University of Pennsylvania.  If I can persaude him to come out to Pittsburgh for a game we could also couple it with a visit to talk about his options.  In the UK there does not seem to be the same surgery procedures available and according to the Internet, most advances in aortic procedures, seem to be in the US and in particular in Pennsylvania.  
I have seen prgrammes on TV detailing an almost complete shutdown of all body organs, by rapid extensive cooling, and then the repair of the damaged part of the Aorta during a short window, follwed by the slow controlled warming, bringing the patient back form a controlled death like situation.  This all seems very interesting for me, by for my friend, he cannot watxch or read anything about it because it frightens him too much.  
He has three children whom he adores and I am very worried, for him over the next few years.
I am not sure how you can help, but how can we talk to someone who could reduce his fears and get him thinking about taking some corrective action.

Thank you,
Gavin
Avatar n tn
Where on the aorta is the enlargement?  Root? Ascending? Arch? Descending?  Abdominal?