Heart Disease Expert Forum
Fast Resting Heart Rate and some dizzyness

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

I have been having some dizzyness and feeling like I am going to faint off and on for about a month now..along with some other wierd things like my face and neck always feeling hot and looking red (flush).  I was on my way to a Nuerologist when I was in Jewel and all of a sudden my heart started pounding really fast and hard.  Just before this I coughed once and felt funny.  When I took my pulse at this point it was over 155 bpm..then when I got to my nuerology appointment..the doctor took my blood pressure and heart rate laying, sitting and standing.  When I stood up and stood still my blood pressure dropped from something like 130/?? to 98/?? all just by standing..then my heart rate was still in the 130's and I almost fainted..I had to sit down.  I have had my bloodwork done and I am not aniemic.  Anyway, I went to the er and there my heart rate resting went down to between 105-112 resting and with a relaxant.  They let me go home..and since then I have had a 24 hour heart monitor and an echocardiagram (I had one of these a couple years ago and it was said I have mild MVP with regurgitation) The echo guy says that it doesnt look like its gotten worse.  I still have a heart rate resting of around 80 and when I move it goes up.  My doc thinks it could be anxiety also.  I seem to notice a really wierd feeling when I wake up from a sleep with a sudden thing like an an alarm.please let me know what this might be//thx
Dear kraftster,

There are several interesting things in your story.  First, the fact that the heart rate started suddenly and second, the fact that you had a drop in blood pressure with standing.   Did the rapid heart rate aslo stop suddenly or did it gradually slow down.  If it stopped suddenly then I would suspect an SVT may be causing the rapid heart rate.  The drop in blood pressure may however point to a different syndrome called postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome or POTs.  You can find many other postings concerning these two conditions on this site.  Anxiety can cause tachycardia but I would rule out the other possible conditions first.  A Holter monitor is a good start but you probably need an event monitor to "catch" the arrhythmia.  The second test you should talk to your doctor about is a tilt-table test.  This will help in the diagnosis of POTS.  If you would like to be seen in Cleveland for a second opinion I would suggest Dr. Jaeger or Dr. Fouad in the syncope clinic.  
I don't know what's causing your symptoms but , clearly, you need to have a good work up by a doctor you trust and can talk to. My educated guess -- and it is only that -- is that you might have dysautonomia and a tilt table test might me in order.

good luck and I hope you feel better soon.
I suffer from these same symptoms. When I wake up in the morining I am fine, but as the day progresses I become light headed, but it comes and goes. It is most domminant in the summer.
I'm Jill I'm 16 and I had wolf parkinsons white syndrome and had a cardiac ablation for it when I was 13 and it removed the extra pathway and we thought took care of everything. Now everytime I take my pulse, my pulse rate is 130 or higher. I will be sitting in class and I will feel my chest flutter and skip a beat and I get pains in my chest a lot. I haven't told my doctor yet because I'm afraid it will be another heart issue or nothing at all so I needed some other opions first before I went to the doctor.
Hi, Jill. I was diagnosed with a severe case of svt  after an episode where my hr got up to 265bpm and was that elevated for over 30 minutes. The doctor at the hospital I was rushed to told my parents and I that that was the highest hear rate he had ever seen for that amount of time. Due to that episode I was scheduled for a cardiac ablation the next month. The surgery went well and I no longer had heart palpitations until about over a year later. I am 18 now and am about to start college soon. I have noticed my hr has increased over the past few months and that it just seems to be getting worse. at first I didn't want to admit that my heart was messing up again after going through that surgery, but I truly believe it is. I actually just called my cardiologists office today and explained what it going on. I now have an appt to be seen again on Monday. The point of this is that I didn't want to accept that my cardiac condition was not fully treated or that there is something completely else wrong with my heart so I ignored it for months. Now with the added stress in my life it is getting worse it seems everyday. I just hope that you tell someone your heart has been acting up again before you get to the point I am now. Sometimes at night I'm afraid to fall asleep because I have chest pain and a very rapid heart beat. I have realized that this has become very serious and that just ignoring it has done no good.