Focal Atrial Tachycardia : Ablation failed, now what?
Hi there :

In 2010 I had a successful PDA closure, diagnosed fairly late in life for a congenital disorder at the age 0f 28, and was 30 at the age of closure.

At the time of diagnosis I was also diagnosed with Focal Atrial Tachycardia. I recently underwent a four hour ablation in December, which was unsuccessful. The surgeon says he tried so many different spots but though he had good options, none were excellent and therefore it wasn't a success.

In the five weeks since then I have experienced incredibly intense attacks of FAT - leading me much closer to fainting than usual. They are also much more painful than usual - though I believe this is all due to the trauma of the procedure.

I was in a daze and neglected to ask the correct questions after the procedure, and since then I have been unable to get in touch with the surgeon. He is the only specialist in our country so I imagine he is also a little busy!

I would like to know now, and would be very grateful if you could help me :

1. I am a 32 female and would like to start a family soon - is it safe for me to get pregnant and deliver naturally with this condition?

2. Will they attempt ablation again and should it be so painful?

3. Is my life expectancy greatly reduced, or am I at a much higher risk of stroke now that the ablation was unsuccessful?

I would appreciate any guidance or answers if possible :)

Thank you very much,

Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. Focal atrial tachycardia is a relatively uncommon arrhythmia. And radio frequency ablation is the preferred treatment for symptomatic patients. If untreated it can lead to other atrial arrhythmias like atrial fibrillation and flutter. So, your doctor may attempt another ablation. Post ablation if you do not have any rhythm abnormalities and your post PDA status is normal, then its unlikely to cause any problems with pregnancy.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.