Heart Disease Expert Forum
Funny beats

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Funny beats

I am a 45 year old female with chronic fatigue syndrome and trigeminal neuralgia, for which I am treated with fluvoxamine and amitriptyline.  I have only recently changed to fluvoxamine, as sertraline was beginning to have little effect.  I had an episode ca. 12 months ago of tachycardia due to another anti-depressant drug called reboxetine (an SNRI). Depression has been a long-standing fact of life for me, unfortunately.  The tachycardia, which stayed at 137 bpm for up to a fortnight, was a frightening and disabling experience, but fortunately resolved when I came off the drug (I had only been taking it for 2 weeks prior to the heart disturbance).  My problem now has been happening for a while (ectopic beats), but they seem to have become more frequent and are occurring nearly all day every few minutes now.  The situation is uncomfortable.  I am prone to getting them when I lie on my left side in bed and when I do get them they seem to irritate my left lung and make me cough once.  I am finding this very uncomfortable and a little worrying, and I don't understand why they should make me cough too.  I am finding I have feelings of faintness, whilst experiencing these funny beats, but have not fainted.  I recently had an ECG and check with a cardiologist several weeks after the palpitations had subsided (I had been referred when they occurred).  There was no sign of them by the time of the appointment.  I am concerned about the increase in the ectopic beats, though, and the way they seem to irritate my lungs and make me cough.  Does this make sense?  What do you advise
Dear Leila,

Sorry to hear about the palpitations you have been experiencing.
If not already done, I would suggest having a holter monitor study done to characterize whether or not a rhythm disturbance is the cause of your palpitations. A holter monitor is a device worn for 24 to 48 hours which records the heart's electrical activity. A single electrocardiogram is recorded during a 5 to 10 second period during which you are probably not experiencing palpitations. Knowing what type of rhythm disturbance is causing your symptoms will help in the treatment. If you are experiencing ectopic beats, which consist of premature atrial contractions (PACs) and premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) beta blockers are the usual drug of choice. However, beta blockers may cause depression and may not be the best drug for you. Therefore, you may be a candidate for a calcium channel blocker. I would recommend seeing a cardiologist and further discussing your concerns. Meanwhile, avoid caffeine, tobacco, alcohol and stimulants such as those found in decongestants.
Hope you feel better.

Thanks for your question,

CCF-MD-KE
I am a 27 yr old female (in good health) with the same condition you described when you lay on your left side. When I was pregant, I started to experience what seemed like an extra heart beat when I lay on my left side. It would cause me to cough once and then I was fine. When I asked my ob/gyn about it, he said it was nothing to worry about. So I didn't worry even though it would happen at least 5 times a week when I went to bed. I thought it had to do with pregnacy until I experienced the feeling after I had the baby. I now experience it during the day every once in a while. I had a scare this morning because it happend again when I was laying in bed playing with my daughter. This time it not only caused me to cough, but my heart was racing like I just ran a marathon. The funny thing was that I felt calm, but couldn't calm my heart beat. My husband called the docter and he said it was ok (gave explination), but my husband and I would like to get a second opinion to find the cause of this uncomfortable palpatation. That is why I came to this site. I felt a little better knowing that I am not the only one experiencing this, but at the same time worried because I am the youngest one who feel this. Any comments will be helpful to me. Thanks! Kann
i'm sorry to hear about both of your struggles with pvcs/pacs and other arrhythmias.  just wanted to let you guys know that your not alone, i've been having them regularly for the past six months and i'm only 23.  i started getting them in my teens and have had all the normal tests from a cardiologist and been told they are benign.  take care.
Don't think just because you're young, it is abnormal. I am 23 and have been experiencing these weird sensations since my teens as dartmouth has. I find too that I can't sleep on my left side so I find my right shoulder is always killing me! But hey, I'd rather have a sore shoulder than a skipping heart! Before I got pregnant my heart was doing pretty good. I had mild episodes like once every 6 months. Once I got pregnant my heart skipped every night during the last couple months. After delivery I was fine and never experienced these palpitations until my daughter was about 1 1/2 or 2. And since August of last year I experience palpitations on a daily basis. I got so scared that I finally went in to get it checked out. My stress test, ecg, bloodwork all came back normal and my doctor does not tell me what it is but just tells me not to worry about it. Just knowing I share this with millions of others makes me feel better. I say go get checked out for peace of mind but don't get yourself worked up expecting there to be something wrong like I did. Take care.
Michelle
I'M 26 YEARS OLD AND HAVE HAD PALPITATIONS FOR MANY YEARS. SOME DAYS I CAN JUST THINK ABOUT THEM AND MY HEART WILL START BOTHERING ME. I HAD PALPS REAL BAD WHEN I WAS PREGNANT. I CANNOT SLEEP ON MY LEFT SIDE EITHER. MY QUESTION IS DO PVC & PACS FEEL THE SAME? I HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH MVP. I DO NOTICE BEFORE MY MONTHLY CYCLE IT STARTS BOTHERING ME MORE MY PCP PUT ME ON .25MG OF XANAX FOR ANXIETY IT SEEMS TO HELP ME STAY CALM WHEN MY HEART IS BOTHERING ME. BUT THER ARE SOME DAYS I GET SO FREAKED OUT OVER THEM I'M CONVINCED I NEED TO GO TO THE HOSPITAL. I WISH I DIDNT WORRY SO MUCH ABOUT MY HEART, I SHY AWAY FROM ANY THING THAT WILL MAKE MY HEART BEAT FAST ESPECIALLY EXERSISE I DO KNOW MIND OVER MATTER IS REALLY ALL YOU NEED. AN IDLE MIND IS THE DEVILS WORKSHOP
Has anyone heard about omega-3 (fish oil) helping arrhythmia?  I read an article in a magazine and then looked it up on the American Heart Association web page.  It's worth a try!
hi guys i was just wondering if you guys could tell me how your extra beats feel.  I sometimes get a warm flush feeling right in the middle of my chest  and it goes to my finger tips,  its like a vaso dialtor response.  just wondering if you can tell me if you ever had those.
I am so glad I have found this site.  I am 31 and have had PVC's for 3 years.  So many of your comments are similar to mine.  I get them when I lay on my left side, bend over, or run out of air talking.  I also seem to get them in conjunction with high stress, caffeine, or a full stomach.  I take Atenolol only as needed to decrease my heart rate.  I guess it helps.  They think I have MVP, only it is very mild.
I wanted to let you all know though, that since reading the information posted here, I have finally been able to relax about the funny beats and therefore gotten less of them.  All of the emergency room visits, cardiologist visits, and late night phone calls to the poor on call nurse have always left me feeling very alone, confused, and frankly questioning my sanity.  I felt like the doctors didn't believe me and the readings they were able to capture on the Holter monitor and EKG were not as bad as the PVC's I had without the monitor.  I was sure they were missing something and if they would just listen to me they could save my life.  Well, I just wanted to let everyone here know, you are not alone!  Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for posting your experiences.  
       I also have a question.  I never had PVC's until I was on Paxil.  I had a lot of bad side effects coming off of it, felt like my head was jumping and then began to get the PVC's.  I would think that since I have been off of it for 2+ years, I would stop getting the PVC's???  Has anyone had any similar experience with SSRI(Selective Seratonin Reuptake Inhibitors).
     Thanks again everyone and God Bless
Just wondering....I have this problem, but feel like my breath is taken away briefly during these episodes.  Does anyone else experience a quick loss of breath during these episodes?  Thanks!
Yeah, I experience the loss of breath as well. When it happens I find myself taking a quick big deep breath of air in because it feels like I'm not breathing.
Hi all you PVCers!  I am 37 and have been having these darn things in pretty high numbers (during stress and hormone fluctuations they are at their worst) since I was 32 but felt them on occasion since 26.  Having pvcs, I have decided, is kind of like a chronic condition:  it comes and goes, it has "flare ups."  I have felt every wacky sensation you can imagine (short of breath for a moment, flushing, painful pvcs, woozy feelings, panic, etc.) and am still here.  I even have recorded a short run of  the dreaded Vtach!!  Yet many echos, holters and stress tests later, I am still told they are benign (and I get thousands during a flare up, including bigeminy).  I exercise by walking the treadmill on incline for 2miles every other day.  I drink one cup of coffee per day (ironically mine are at their best in the morning, go figure) and I take 25mg atenolol daily (doesn't do much, but what the heck -- anything with a calminge effect is good with me) and four slo-mag (magnesium) tablets a day (as per cardiologist suggestion).  Fear is the enemy, not the pvcs.  Ladies, track your cycles and you may find that ovulation and pms are triggers (although stress or fear can cause them any old time).  Big meals, public speaking, etc.  Don't be afraid!  And post your experience to spread the word.  You don't know how many people may be comforted by hearing that others are dealing with them too.  They feel so scary, but they are not dangerous.  

Please do post, though, if anyone has more info. on the study regarding pvcs AFTER exercise.  I get them afterwards sometimes, and would like to understand more about whether there is any significance to this.
Thanks for the input!  It seems as though lots of folks are dealing with this.  I just hadn't heard of that breath loss being associated.  Makes me feel better!  Thanks!
My question is I read an article saying that people that suffer from pvc's are more suseptible (sp?) to having a life threatning arrythmia from the ventricle is that true? I read tons of articles that say pac' and pvc's are nothing to worry about if you have a structurally normal heart, does having MVP mean I dont have a structurally normal heart? I do notice my palpitations get worse before my monthly cycle. Can any one tell me if pvc's feel different from pac's? All info will help me feel lots better:) Thanks
I was wondering the exact same thing. I asked that on "Another PAC Question" but asked if you could tell the difference between a-fib and v-fib. But would also like to know if a person could tell the difference between PAC's and PVC's. Maybe it's a different sensation??? It would be reasuring to know that mine are PAC's considering that PVC's can develop into vfib. At times I feel some sort of fibrillation. This is just so frustrating. I haven't been able to sleep in my bed for the past 2 months. I have to sleep partially sitting up on the couch or my heart acts up. Also, for the women, I'm convinced it is linked to horomones. I find that 4 to 5 days before my cycle starts that's when it really flares up. Also, we are going to try and get pregnant again in about 6 months and I'm scared that my heart won't be able to handle it though I made it through my first pregnancy with some minor PVC's. I love hearing everybody's experiences so let's keep this going!

Michelle
This is all semi-new to me. I started feeling a funny heart beat when I was pregnant (I explained this in the first response). Since this is new to me, I do not know what all the acronyms (PVCs and all the others) stand for. Could someone explain what they all mean. Thanks for your time. I just like to thank all for responding. I feel better knowing that I am not crazy for feeling this way. Knowing others have experienced this and the tips I received about hormonal changes, caffine, and others has made me feel better. I am going to see a cardiologist next week for some testing to make sure everything is alright.
Michelle - My husband and I were talking about trying for another baby during the summer, but I am afraid my funny heart feeings will get worse. I am scared to think what might happen and at the same time would love to have another baby. When I see the cardiologist I plan to ask him what might happen if I become pregnant again. If you like I can tell you any info he tells me.
Thanks again for all your input! Have a wonderful day!
Kerri
I'm a 73 year old female and I had PAC's/PVC's most of my life. When I was very young, I never knew what that funny, uncomfortable feeling in my chest was. Being young, I never paid much attention to it and did not worry about it, even though I knew something funny was going on with my heart.  The last 10 years I'm "walking around with my finger on my pulse" :-(  and realized that these funny symptoms are skips. I also get Palpitations (irregular or racing heart beats) off and on, but  most of these episodes just last 5 - 10 minutes.  Maybe once a year I get an episode lasting at least one hour.  Some days I have skips all day long and then I go for days without any of them.  I'm never short of breath though.  Last year I finally saw a cardiologist and had all the tests and found out that my heart is okay and my episodes are benign. These past years when I had an episode I would get very scared, but ever since I saw the cardiologist I don't get panicky anymore.  I guess it is something we have to learn to live with.
That would be great if you could let me know of any info regarding another pregnancy. You said you go next week sometime? I saw my regular doctor and an internist but I couldn't see a cardiologist because we live in a small city and don't have one here. I'd have to go away and probably wouldn't be able to see one for a few months. It's funny because just last night me and my husband said we'd probably start trying in about 6 months but I'm just so scared of what my heart will do. I want another one soooo bad though!

As for the acronyms, I'll try to give them a whirl.........
PVC - Premature ventricular contraction (an extra beat which    originates from the lower part of heart, I think)
PAC - Premature atrial contraction (an extra beat which originates from the atrium)
MVP - Mitral valve prolapse (someone with a heart murmer may have this condition, a leaky valve)
a-fib - Atrial fibrilation (PAC's can develop into this causing the heart to "vibrate")Non-life threatening.
v-fib - Ventricular fibrilation (PVC's can develop into this causing the heart to "vibrate")Life threatening.
V-tach - Ventricular Tachycardia (Not too sure but I think this is when the heart starts racing)
SVT - I think this is a run of PVC's.

Hope this helps, good luck at your appointment next week. Let me know what he/she says about pregnancy. Here's my email address: ***@****

Michelle
A note regarding pregnancy:  I found with my first that I had very few episodes of any funny beats:  skips or racing.  (Those were the days!)  Then I had a miscarriage.  Then, when I was pregnant with my second, I was so flipped out for the first trimester that I had pvcs ALL THE TIME until the very reassuring 20 week ultrasound showed all was well.  After that, they were actually better than normal during the latter half of my pregnancy!  I don't remember getting ANY during delivery (which was great) but I did have some afterward as all the bodily changes and blood volume changes were settling out.  For those of you considering pregnancy -- if you have been told your skips are benign, I would go for it.  Any increase in skips (and you may actually have a decrease!) is so worth it in order to have a second child if that is what you want.  I really think that the monthy cycles are worse and pregnancy is better (at least after the first trimester).  Ovulation and pms is very challenging for me now, with lots of pvc activity at those times.  But I want to get the message out there that we can't allow these things to take our lives away.  Again, think of it as a chronic condition that you have to manage.
Hey there.

I found this site two years ago, when I first started having 'skipped' beats, 'extra' beats and 'missed' beats, or whatever you want to call them. Palpitations is the most commonly used, I guess.

I have just turned 26.

I actually experienced them when I was about 11, just the once, and then again when I was about 18 and I managed to walk to the doctors that time. He listened to my palpitations with his stethoscope and said they were nothing to worry about. So I didn't.

I have always been an anxious person, which I feel in important to mention. I wander if most people who use this site are.

So, I carried on without a palpitation in sight. Until I went to Oz on holiday and had a panic attack because I was worried about my future and what I would do when I went home. I had palpitations which occurred when my heart was racing, which was scary. They would happen when I thought I was relaxed, in the shower, in bed, during sex. You name it.

So I would go to the ER rooms, have tests, see cardiologists and always get the ok from them. But a day would go by and they would return and I would worry. I would have panic attacks most days.

I found also that I always felt 'hungry' for air. I have always been a mouth breather. I thought this would have something to do with it so I started reading about my condition and symptoms.

Through finding out what I was going through by reading I slowly calmed myself. It has taken a long time. Two years, almost. I still feel on edge. I feel strange today and have had some palpitations so I logged onto this site. It reminds me how normal they are. That's the key, reminding yourself that you are okay. It is amazing what the mind can do.  When you panic, you think the worst and forget what you know is right, that you will be okay. Right?

I booked myself into a pysiotherapist for breathing re-training and I breathe through my nose now. It has helped as I get less stressed. People don't know if the hyperventilation (for me it was chronic over a long period of time (yawning all the time, sighing etc) that starts the anxiety or the anxiety starts it. For me, I am sure it's the anxiety that starts it. I've lost my job today and look what I'm doing. I'm anxious so the symptoms come on.

There are loads of books out there that may list most of the symptoms you are feeling. Read them if you can.

And remember, there are lots of songs in the charts (I'm in the UK) and songs which have been in the charts which mention skipped beats. Such as the Pet Shop Boys 'My heart starts skipping a beat....everytime' Hey, I think that's what it says. Anyway, they are out there. It's a common thing. Okay, so to us it happens a lot. But maybe we are overly anxious. The mind is so powerful. Trying to forget them may seem impossible.

But read on this site about how people have been worrying for years and have been checking their pulses for years. And they are all okay.

Look, I'll be checking this site. I hope what I've said is of some use to somebody.

Just keep talking about it.

Take care and believe in yourself. I know how hard it is. After saying this and after all years I have spent worrying, I'm still not quite back to the way I want to be. But it takes time. Find out what works for you.

Thanks.
Thanks mister....
-
Yes, the skips, the palpitations,  the wrong breathing, all the rest, and the pulse-checking, I know...
Anxiety I suffer from too, like almost everyone on this board.
Your post, sooooo recognizable...
-
Thanks and keep your chin up!
-
Love   -   ***Ianna***
Does anyone know if you can have MVP and not have a heart murmer that can be heard through a stethoscope??? The reason I ask is because my doctor won't send me for an echo because he says I don't have a murmer. So just wondering if any of you have MVP without the murmer. Should I demand an echo or just take his word???

Michelle :)
Hi I am a 31 year old female I started having skipping beats
in my last month of pregnancy I have been seen my three cardiologists had 5 ekgs 2 echo cardigrams wore the event monitor for thirty days,everything always checks out fine.
I have come to one conclusions everyone is looking for an
answer why? Just as I have for eight months now in the beginning
the doctors said its just the hormones it will probley go away
well eight months and it has not went away. My conclusion is
this we look to the medical field for answers they cant give us
one why because they dont know everything you read says its
a mystery. I feel it must have something to do with hormones
and stress I have chronic anxiety. I feel maybe I have had
this longer than pregnancy and just didnt know it.... I have
constant pressure and gas due to reflux I think maybe this plays a part too, it is nice to know others deal with this annoying
problem it has truely consumed me....
Wow, am I glad I found you all!! I am 29 years old and I was just feeling lost and trying to find more info on this heart that is driving me crazy and boom, I stumbled on to this.  Everything I have read makes me feel so much better!  I no longer feel I am dealing with this alone.  Just a few days ago, my heart just started racing for no reason then slowing down over and over.  I tolerated it for 2 days then they got really strong and I headed for the ER. They initially said I have SVT.  I have had to do every test known to man.  I still don't have the results.  I have been given 50mg twice a day of Metaprolol(to lower blood pressure and slow down my heart) but I feel like I have bricks on my legs and arms while on it.  The doctor said it may just be a nuisance for the rest of my life as opposed to a hazard.  It has been so enlightening reading all of the comments here.  I had felt these on and off for 4 years just once in a blue moon.  As far back as I could think was when pregnant with my first child.  I had not made a connection to that until now when I read about so many of you who noticed this with pregnancy. This has been wonderful for me to know that other people have this and haven't died from it.  I would like to be able to manage this without drugs for the rest of my life...It's very scary, is it do-able?  
Does anyone here know if their Thyroid is a factor in all of this?  I have read that it can cause similar symptoms...

Thank you so much for all your comments...
Hi All,
I just found this list, it is good to know I am not alone.  I have been having palapations since I had my thyroid out.  If my meds are not right it really gets bad, to the point of deep heavy pressure.  May I suggest each of you have your thyroid checked and also you calcium levels checked, since calcium regulates muscles and your heart is of course a rather large one. I find if my calcium levels are not right I have problems as well.    

I am also in pre menopause and I think this is causing mine to be worse.  What is weird is that I will go months with out a problem, but then like the last two nights I am startled awake with a racing heart and shortness of breath (this is happening 3 and 4 time a night). To say the very least it is unsettling. Today, I have been having the (pill stuck) feeling all day, except when I was out digging in the garden.  I also have had times when I lay down to go to sleep on my tummy and my heart pounds and races and even taking deep breaths doesn't help. It is not fun.  I think I have found some info, that for me at least is that the adreanls are for some reason dumping adrinlin (sp) at wierd time.  This makes sence to me anyway. I also found that silicine and mag are necessary to help this.  

I am 52, and also (as mentioned) am hypothyroid, hypoparathyroid and hypopatatury.  What I can figure out is why all of a sudden this is happening when I have been on the same meds for 6 months.  Humm, if it continues I guess it is time to check with the Dr, to see if I need my med adjusted.

Hope this helps someone.  Now I am off to finish the thread, could not wait to post.

galynn--prefer glo but it was taken.  

I USED TO POST HERE ALOT, AND TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY I HAVE BEEN BACK IN WELL OVER A YEAR.
I'M 42 AND FIRST NOTICE ARRYTHMIAS IN 1993 I WAS 32.
IT STARTED WITH A VERY FAST HEART RATE ONE DAY, ESPECIALLY IN THE A.M. AFTER BREAKFAST. THEN IT WOULD GO AWAY, BUT COMES BACK EVERYDAY SINCE.
ONE DAY IN FEB. 1998 THIS DAY IT WOULDNT SLOW DOWN, JUST STANDING UP AND TAKING A FEW STEPS, IT WOULD REALLY TAKE OFF.
THEN FOR THE FIRST TIME THIS DAY I STARTED FEELING WEIRD BEATS, LIKE SOME FELT LIKE A HARD THUD HERE AND THERE.
ANYWAY I WENT TO THE E.R. AND FINALLY FOR THE FIRST TIME SAW A DOCTOR. STILL GO TO A CARDIOLOGIST EVERY SIX MONTHS. HAD ALL THE TESTS, REALLY DON'T KNOW MUCH MORE TODAY.
STARTED ON TOPROL IN SEPT. 1999 AND IT SLOWED DOWN MY RATE AND I FELT ALOT OF RELIEF, BUT THEN MY SYMPTONS WOULD START TO COME BACK. AT FIRST THE DOSE WAS ONLY 25MG. A DAY.  BUT NOW I TAKE 3 50MG. TABLETS DAILY. A TABLET AND A HALF TWICE A DAY. AT TIMES I EVEN NEED MORE THAN THAT ESPECIALLY AROUND OF OVULATION AND RIGHT UP UNTIL MY MENSES BEGINS, THEN RIGHT AFTER THE FIRST DAY OF WHEN MY MENSES BEGINS, THE SYMPTONS REALLY DECREASE ALOT.

DOES ANYONE ELSE NOTICE A INCREASE OF SYMPTONS, HAVING TO DO
WITH I GUESS HORMONES AROUND OVULATION UP TO WHEN A MENSES BEGINS?
IF SO PLEASE POST.

ONE OTHER SCARRY THING I BEEN GETTING FOR THE LAST COUPLE OF YEARS IS I CAN BE FINE THEN MY HEART WILL START TO BEAT VERY SLOW OR OUT OF RYTHM, THEN SOMETIMES I START TO FEEL WOOZY, I COUGH OR DO SOMETHING WITH A QUICK MOTION (MOSTLY FROM PANIC) THEN IT GOES INTO A FAST BUT NORMAL RYTHM AND THEN BACK DOWN TO THE NORMAL RATE, AND THE EVENT IS OVER. AT THE END I GET A HOT FLASH FEELING. THIS HAPPENS MORE AROUND OVULATION AND AROUND THE TIME MY PERIOD SUPPOSE TO START. SCARES THE HEK OUT OF ME.

DOES ANYONE ELSE GET A THIS TYPE OF ARRYTHMIA ALSO?
IF SO PLEASE POST.
I ALSO NOTICE I CAN'T DRINK ANY TYPE OF WINE. AFTER I DRINK NOT EVEN A HALF OF GLASS MY HEART WOULD START TO RACE. I GET ALSO LIKE A TIGHT FEELING IN MY STOMACH.
I just stumbled on this site tonight and felt I had to share my experiences with everyone. I am 49 and have had palpatations since my early twenties. They seem to come and go, and at times, they flare up for several days or weeks, and I have several per day. Then they lessen or stop altogether for days, weeks, or years. I also have had complete cardiac workups, holter monitors, ekgs, and all sorts of cardiac rule outs with no heart problems detected and a diagnosis of normal synus rythem with PVCs. They feel as many have described them, as a skip or very hard beat and then I will have a breif episode of tachycardia before they regulate. Physical exercise seems to lessen them, if I exercise regularly and sensibly, and limiting stimulants and stress reduction also helps some. When I first felt them, I spent many visits to doctors, ERs, and clinics thinking I was having a heart attack. The resulting anxiety was almost disabling as well, but after a couple years of this, I decided to take charge and learn all I could about this, and also learn ways to relax myself to lessen the PVCs or at least the anxiety associated with them. Mine seem to be worse when I am going through physical or emotional stressors, so I try to control both as best I can. I have had a hysterectomy, and find that ERT helps quite a bit, so I endorse the idea that hormonal fluctuations play a part in this. I feel this is usually a chronic problem, and my mindset seems to help me through it. Until tonight, I have never shared any of these thoughts though, since many people seem to avoid discussing palpatations.
I can say that I have never fainted, have continued breathing and living and haven't lost my mind in the 25 years I have had this problem. It is hard not to think about it when your chest is doing funny things, but it helps to distract if possible. Also, that huge beat felt after a skip is called a compensatory beat when the heart squeezes harder to make up for the insuffiecency of the irregular beat. More often than not, this is a benign condition, but it doesn't hurt to get regular check-ups and also to see a doctor if anything becomes different or uncomforatable.
I am familiar with Paxil and other SSRIs due to my profession. Paxil is not addicitve, but the restriction of the neurotransmitters when stopping an SSRI may cause stress to the body that might increase PVCs or PACs. Anxiety is often a by-product of this problem, and anxiety will increase when discontinuing any type of medication designed to stabilize moods. Increased anxiety seems to be a contributing factor to this type of heart irregularity, so in this way, the stopping of the meds may contribute to the palpatations.
Again, I am happy to have found this site and to hear from so many nice folks. I look forward to all of your remarks and observations.God Bless!
Hi!
I too think menstruation plays a part in all of this.  i am just new at this but from what I have read, I don't think it is a coincedence that my syptoms (symptoms) started when my period did and now that it is over they have lessened considerably.  I get the same feeling you do...dizzy with a cough and that hot flash in the head thing.  I tried to figure out hoe to explain it, it's almost like if you plug your nose and close your mouth and "blow". Like my head may explode for just a second!! Gotta run I have a baby crying at my feet!
I JUST WANT TO KNOW DO PVC'S FEEL LIKE SKIPPING BEATS? I JUST KNOW SOME TIMES MY HEART WILL DO THAT BUT MORE OFTEN IT JUST KIND OF FLUTTERS THEN BEATS FAST THEN WILL GO BACK TO NORMAL. I REALLY NOTICE PALPITATIONS DURING HIGH STRESS, IF IM REALLY TIRED, OVULATION AND MY PERIOD. I KNOW MY CARDIOLOGIST SAID EXERSISE WILL HELP LESSEN THEM BUT I KNOW WHEN I DO SOMETIMES MY HEART WILL SKIP A BEAT AND THEN I REALLY GET STRESSED OUT. DO YOU HAVE ANY ADVISE ON TO WHAT KIND OF EXERSISE I SHOULD BE DOING? I DO CHASE A VERY ENERGETIC 2 YEAR OLD EVERY DAY! ANY ADVISE WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. HAVE A GREAT DAY!

-SHANNON
-
Yes the pvc's feel like skipping beats.
And like flutters, bumps, palp's, stops; having to cough, being dizzy, warm feeling to the head (flush), and the rest of the body, funny feeling in the stomach, shaky, anxiety-flush, feeling out-of-breath, etc etc.
And hormones do play a role, as does an upset stomach or gas, stress, sometimes food, or alcohol, smoking, caffeine, too much sugar, some medicines, coca cola's, chocolate, etc.(this doesn't go for everyone suffering, but you can try avoiding some of these 'triggers', and see how you react.)
You can have thousands a day or just a few a day.
Doesn't matter to the drs; they say they're benign.
We on the other hand go crazy, when 'they' come on.
We startle, hold our breath, check our pulse and FEAR....."This time I will collaps!!!!" - "If only the dr. could see me now"!!!!-
But we will NOT die, instead we are feeding the BUMPS with anxiety, and they like that!!! Get the too much stress out of your life! Learn to relax...(get someone to help you if you cannot do it by yourself). That means: "take time for YOU!!!
-
So taking the fear from them is no.1 - that means you are in control and will not let them frighten you, go on with what you were doing, don't lay down on the bed or couch.
You can try to cough very hard a few times, or make a bowel-movement a few times, push down hard, like you have to poop out a baby, that will help.
And then breath slowly very deep a few times, low, 'in' the belly, and try staying there with your normal breathing.
Excercise helps, but build that up slowly. Walking is ok. And swimming. And cycling.(as a start)
-
Now there are more helpful tips.
Look through the archives on this site.
Thousands of 'us' out there, still alive....
One day better than the other, or one week better than the other...
-
I'm no dr. so if you stay very anxious go to a cardiol. and let him or her check you with some tests. Usually these tests come back with the comment: 'structually normal heart'.
Meaning you are ok.
That will ease your mind a bit.
-
Goodbey dear, I think you'll be ok.
-
Love   ***Ianna***    -  'and the beat goes on'.....;-)

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE INFO. IVE BEEN TO A CARDIO AND THEY SAY ITS NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. SOMETIMES I FIND IT HARD TO BELIEVE SOMETHING THAT MAKES YOU FEEL SO STRANGE IS NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. DOES PAC'S FEEL THE SAME AS PVC'S? PLEASE WRITE BACK AND LET ME KNOW I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT. I DO STAY AWAY FROM CAFFEINE, CHOCOLATE, COLD MEDS. PRETTY MUCH EVERYTHING THEY SAY ARE TRUGGERS BUT I GUESS IM NATURALLY A TORQUED (sp)UP PERSON MY HUSBAND SAYS. I HAVE BEEN THAT WAY ALL OF MY LIFE OR AT LEAST AS LONG AS I CAN REMEMBER. MY DAD HAS PALPATATIONS AND SKIPS FOR AS LONG AS HE CAN REMEMBER & HE SAID WHEN HE STARTED NOT TO WORRY ABOUT THEM OR QUIT WAITING FOR THE NEXT ONE TO HAPPEN HE FELT MORE CALM WHEN THEY DID HAPPEN. HE SAID ITS THE LORDS WAY OF TELLING ME TO TAKE A DEEP BREATH AND CALM DOWN. I DEFINITELY DO AGREE. MY DOCTOR STARTED ME ON FLEUOXOTINE FOR MY AWEFUL PMS SYMPTOMS BUT IM AFRAID TO TAKE IT. ANY ADVISE THERE?

LOVE, SHANNON THE WORRYER
I am a 46 year old woman and having been experiencing PAC"s for about a year now.  I have had rapid heart rate for most of my life.  I have been to a cardiologist numerous times and all of my tests are negative, but do show these PAC's...I find them very annoying.  I have just been put on Toprol XL and although it has slowed my rate down the skipped beats are still there.
I feel very frustrated, but I am guessing it is something i have to live with.  I do find I do get them premenstrually alot too.
I am glad I found this forum...I dont feel so all alone!
Hello Trici,
-
You are NOT alone.
There are a LOT of women, with PMS related BUMPS.
And pre-menopause BOOMS.
And pregnancy FLIP-FLOP'S.
And we all worry, year after year, but... we still are here...
-
Stay well!! - Love ***Ianna***  --  And the beat goes on.....
I've had pvc's for a while now.  They come and go.  Just recently though they have felt like they have got out of hand.  Last night I layed in bed and everytime I took a breath I would feel it.  Then I would lay in bed and shake... I'd take deep breaths and it felt like every 5 seconds My heart would skip a beat.  and It would pound.
I went to the doctor about it Friday (2 days ago) because thursday night I had them so bad I couldn't sleep.  The past few weeks 50% of my nights I spend laying in bed and they just keep happening untill I fall asleep which takes sometimes over an hour.
Has anyone had a simular expierience?  what did you do to help?

recently I have been under allot of stress.  I didn't start the palpitations this time untill after I had a miscarriage.  It has been a struggle and a fight since then.  I don't know what to do and I really am getting discouraged about this.

can someone help me get thought this withough loosing my mind?

I know there are others out there having the same problem, but I just get so scarred about this sometimes and just don't know what to do about it.
the same thing happens to me.  i'm only 23 and when i'm trying to fall asleep at night my palps are always the worst. it's real weird.  i get this drop feeling my stomach and it keeps me awake until i finally fall asleep.  sometimes i also wake up with a fluttery/butterfly feeling in my chest at night.  i've had a bunch of tests and they say they're benign.  i guess if u've had ur heart checked out and they say don't worry there's really nothing elso u can do. ur not alone. take care.
Ianna, it is as if you have read my mind.  Like everyone else here I to have had all the above symptoms,been to the best cardiologists, internists, even been in a CICU overnite.  This all happening over the last 20 something years.  Your comments about stress and anxiety and how they feed the fear of having a MI or other life threatening heart problem are very accurate.  

While I still have very real !!! palps and chest pain( I just had a flip right now)I know that I will be O.K.  and that is because of people like everyone here who share their stories and offer others hope that their lives will go on and can go on normally.  So if anyone out there is scared or worried, see a doctor absolutley, but don't let it take over your life.  I wasted many years worrying, and look, I'm still here!!!! I have been a wife and mother for 24 wonderful years and counting.  

Thank you Ianna you hit the nail on the head.

I could almost cry because I am so happy to have found this forum. You have no idea how much better I feel now that I have been able to read about all of you that are experiencing the exact same thing as I am. I am 26 years old, mother of two and these heart palpatations have just started happening to me in the last two weeks! I thought I was going to die, I feel a loss of breath, I feel light-headed and all around "not normal." My husband has been freaking out as well as the whole family but it is so incredibly nice to know that there are so many people with the same problem and the exact same anxiety that I have been feeling. I was so scared when they first started. It is amazing to me that you can be cruising through life just fine and one day these things just decide to start up and change your life forever. I have to ask, I constantly feel lightheaded and weak, I also notice that mine are obsolete in the morning and worsen throughout the day, but I can't seem to get rid of the lightheadedness? Is this normal? This forum has managed to make me feel hundreds time better but I agree with many of you. This stinks, it stinks that we just have to live with it and try to go on. I don't get it, I just wish they would go away! I am waiting for test results right now to hopefully hear that mine are benign or normal like everybody else.
I too have suffered these weird beats for years and had loads of ECG's and investigations done but Docs tell me nothing to worry about.  Two things I find bring them on - exercising really hard ie heart rate above 140bpm (I'm 34) and being overtired eg after jet lag or disturbed sleep.

Does anyone else have this?

Thanks,

J
Well it's a beautiful spring day here and I just got back from about an hour long walk. Big mistake that was. About half way through the walk I started having PVCs, couplets, triplets, flutters, the whole works. If it wasn't for my mom being there I probably would have passed out right there on the sidewalk. Now what scares me is I read on here a while back that PVCs during exercise can be a bad thing. Does anybody else experience them while exercising? Why is it bad if this happens during physical exertion? Once again you have all reasured me that I am not going to drop dead.......at least I hope! :) It's nice to know that I can count on this web site to make me feel a little bit better.

***Michelle***
I would also like to know about exercise. I have always heard that exercise will help reduce the PVC's. In my own case it seemed to make them worse. (At least worse during the workout since they went back to normal within an hour of stoping the exercise).

Now that my PVC's are going away, (and are also harder for me to detect), it's easier for me to get back to exercising. I think it helped to work out very regularly, not just once or twice a week. It also helped to increase just a little at a time. The more you think about your heart the more strange beats you will detect.

Since 99% of the world says that exercise is a good thing I think I will continue. That 1% can't be right.

Steve
I posted here in the beginning of the month with concerns of my heart palpitations. I have had tests done and the dr says my heart is fine, but found out one thing wrong. I have hyperthyroidism. Which does cause palpitations, nervousness, racing heart, etc.
I felt started feeling palpitations when I was pregnant and the drs said it was due to being pregnant. I accepted that until I was having them after my daughter was born. I asked the endocrenologist (sp?) if I could have had hyperthyroidism when I was pregnant. He said it could have been a possiablitly that I had it, but the only way they would have known is if they tested my thryoid.
I feel much better now knowing that there was an underlying cause to my funny heart beats.I suggest if you haven't already get your thyroid checked. Sometimes you may not know its your thyroid until you have it tested. My father in-law had a racing heart for a year and some weight loss (thinking nothing was wrong) before he found out he had a thyroid problem.
Good luck to everyone and thanks for posting because your comments helped me feel at ease. Have a wonderful day!
Kerri
I had strep this weekend, and noticed that when my fever was up, my heart PVCs were crazy!!  When I took Advil, and my fever went down, my heart calmed down, too.

Has anyone else ever noticed a corolation between illness/fever, and their PVCs?

Sarahsue
hi there, i hope you're feeling better.  whenever i'm sick, have a cold, flu, fever, etc. - i always have more pvcs and pacs.  i think when the body is under extra stress, whether it be an illness, lack of sleep, anxiety, etc. there tends to be an increase in pvcs/pacs.  had you ever had pvcs before this?  i'm 23 and get them all the time!  they are annoying as heck but all the doctors say they're normal and that everyone gets them but just most people don't feel them.  i was curious to see if maybe you took any type of decongestants that day b/c whenever i take those the pvcs go nuts!  it's the pseudoephedrine in there that causes the heart to act up.  hope you are well.  take care.
alex
Hello, (i am phil 38 years old) I have been experiencing palpitations for about 18 years. I went to severla doctors, cardiologists- they all told me i was fine- eventually i went to a therapist and just got used to the fact that my heart skipped beats all the time- I continued my active life style.  then, 3 years ago my resting heart rate slowed to 32 beats per minute.  the doctors said the cardiomyopathy/ myocarditis almost killed me.  since then i continually have every test known to man.  Notwithstanding, the doctors now tell me i am fine.  here is the problem, i am convinced that most of the time gas causes my heart to beat irregular.  sometimes it stops, then beats fast.  other times it beats unusually fast for a long period then unusually slow.  always my heart skips beats.  of course the slow bothers me the most.  why do doctors ignore this stuff.  for years they told me i was basically a hypochondriac (sorry about the spelling i am in a hurry) nonetheless, heart disease almost killed me.  i don't know anybody my age who has these symptoms nor anyone my age who has had heart failure.  where do i go?
I think we are in the same boat. I started with heart issues during my pregnancy. Now I realize that I had these problems for a while but pregnancy helped the problem to get worse. I ended up with a heartrate of 218, even went a little higher. After a week long hospital stay they were able to semi control it through medication. The cardiologist and EP say it is fine but it is still scary. I would love to correspond with you about this further. Please feel free to e-mail me. ***@****
Dear All:

For comments regarding my experiences and knowledge I have gained regarding heart murmurs and PVC's/PAC's, please see my comment under "PVC's and Murmur."  Thanks.  Veepster
Hi everyone.  I just stumbled onto this site (as it appears most of you have) looking for more information on these PVC's.  I first experienced mine in my 20's - and the doc then said not to worry.  I went for several decades without really being bothered by them.  Then, in 1999, I was schedule for a hernia operation and the surgeon during my preop exam said I needed to see a cardiologist for something he did not like hearing.  Boy, that spoked me more than the upcoming surgery!  Well, the cardio put me through an EKG and stress test and said not to worry.  So, for the next 4 years, I was not bothered by them.

In June 2003, I head with the family to Yosemite.  Suddenly, they are present in higher intensity than I can ever recall.  They concerned me for 5 days - and detracted from my enjoyment of that beautiful place.  When I got back home, I made the appointment with the cardio.  Since then, I have had an EKG, Holter Monitor for 24 hrs, echocardiogram, and a nuclear scan in conjunction with a treadmill stress test.  The EKG under stress looked great per the doc, and the nuclear scan did not reveal any of the typical blockages.  However, they noted "Septal Hypokinesia" - which no has clearly defined.  My doc said to see him in three weeks (9/29) to discuss the test.  The fact that he gave me three weeks means I should not drop dead on the sidewalk (that is what the nurse said).

The holter revealed the majority of the pvc's were singles - a few doubles and 1 tripple.  The doc said he would be concerned with the tripple if my heart was not strong.  I find that when I am doing moderate exercise, they are gone.  My heart seems to shape up and fly right when under stress.  After eating and exercise, they seem to return.  Fortunately, they do not appear to occur at night - at least if they do, they do not wake me up regardless of the side I am sleeping on.  I have cute out caffine entirely, and take hawthorne berry and magnesium daily (recommended by several people on another board).  They are better than in June.

I have not had shortness of breath, but the unusual "funny" feeling you get in your chest is unnerving.  If I do not get enough sleep, they seem to be more pronounced and come more often.  

So far, there has been no identified underlying cause for these beats.  Why did they suddenly return in June?  Did the elevation at Yosemite trigger them?  While I have read numerous posts that suggest these are typically beneign and we need to live with them, it does not change the fact that they are really a nuisance.  When you are having a lot of them, I find that I really prefer to be alone and quiet (like sitting in a chair watching TV).  Eventually, they seem to calm down.

As a result of this condition, I can truly say that I have learned how to take my pulse in almost any situation!!!

When I meet with the cardio in a couple of weeks, I will share what his interpretation of these test reveals.  Meanwhile, my only advice is get as much sleep as you can, and stay off the caffine.  If I slip up and have a coke, they come back!
Hello I am glad I found this site and that I am not alone.
I will tell you that I have experianced these for a long time and have been told by doctors the same, not to worry and don't sleep on your left side.. ETC, ETC..

But I will tell you that I have been alot better since I have been taking Tyroid Medication. I have notice that I hardly have them at all, once in a while I will only if I have had to much Caffine or decongestents (pseudoephedrine) or if I have had a stressful day.  My Doctor is a speicalist in Tyroid and told me that the tyroid can cause alot of problems. even though my test came back normal, it was the enzayme test that showed abnormal and it was high therefore my body was attacking the tyroid.. Well, anyway I have been on the medication for about two weeks now and I have been alot better.. I found out that 13 million people have a tyroid problem and don't know it. It can't hurt to have it checked. Also I was told that since my cholestrol was high that the Tyroid could be the problem too and that after I am on the medication for about 6 weeks or so, I am to have my Cholestrol checked again too. They said that the Tyroid helps with the motablism of fats sugars  ETC..
So, this is my experiance and I hope I have maybe help others with this.. Good luck and don't worry.

Jackpot
I have been trying to research information for my sister. she had been diagnosed with MVP. they had also told her that she could not fall pregnant.
Now she has fallen pregnant and has to decide whether to terminate the baby whithin the next two weeks although she is scheduled to terminate tomorrow.
The doctors had told her that her chance of survival was slim as there werent many cases to go on. They also said because she had been taking a drug called "wolfren" early in pregnancy before she had even known she was pregnant, that this drug can cause abnormalities or disabilities in the foetus or deprive the placenta. We have been trying to figure out something as a family as TERMINATION is just not in our vocabulary, but if it is going to put her life in danger or at risk then that might be the only option.
They had also said that if she was to carry on with pregnancy, she could clot. so she is taking another medication at the moment to thin out her blood.(cannot recall what it is called) we were also wondering if a c-section could be alright. her specialist told her that she would bleed to death if she was to have that done. however nowadays medical techniques and medical equipment is so advanced there has to be a way to save my niece/nephew. i was thinking if she was to get a c-section done couldn't they just use blood-transfusion for her.
PLEASE PLEASE IF SOMEONE HAS ANY HELP OR KNOW OF ANYSITES THAT WE COULD RESEARCH THAT WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED. MANY THANKS