Heart Disease Expert Forum
Gastroparesis and vagal nerve damage

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Gastroparesis and vagal nerve damage

Recently I have been diagnosed with Gastroparesis.  My gastroenterologist is going to look in to underlying causes.  I have Graves disease which isin remission right now and I am not taking any thyroid meds. as my thryoid has tested normal for 3 moths now.  I only take Lipitor for high Cholesterol. In the past I have had issues with tachycardia. Now, I seem to have very low blood pressure and heart rate and very tired.  I would like to kno:

1.Can be related to the Gastroparesis since it involves the vagus nerve.  
2.What other things besides diabetes and hypothyroid can cause Gastroparesis?  
3.If it is damage to vagal nerve what can be done to correct it?

Thanks in advance
  • vagus nerve (19 replies):
    Dear Brooke, How can the vagus nerve be stimulated? Pe...[more]
  • Vagal Nerve Help (4 replies):
    I am having a terrible time finding information on Vagal...[more]
  • sogagal (7 replies):
    can pinched nerves in the c-spine and T-spine cause Atri...[more]
  • Vagus nerve (8 replies):
    I have a question about the vagus nerve - if that become...[more]
  • Vagus Nerve (6 replies):
    What is the mechanism that controls the heart rate in th...[more]
duchess,

The low blood pressure itself is probably not. Some levels of autonomic dysfunction can be though. Commonly orthostatic hypotension is seen in patients with gastroparesis.

Any type of chronic illness can be associated with it as well as some medications that slow down GI motility such as opiates. Thyroid, diabetes and amyloid dirrectly affect the nerves of the gut. Alot of medications affect the way the movent of the bowels take place.

This is more of a question for a gastroenterologist. 1st, you need to find the cause and rectify that. That will either improve or halt/delay the progression of symtoms (symptoms). There are some medicines that can increase GI motility such as reglan. Its a difficult disease to treat though.

good luck
Avatar n tn
I've been searching about chronic cough and I've seen a lot about Vagus nerve damage. Could I have injured by vagus nerve? Any ideas about how to treat a vagus nerve? which type of doctor could I see for treatment?
I've had an undianosed chronic cough for 12 years.I'm really sick and tired of this cough. I cough 3-12 times per day.
I've seen over 20 doctors in 5 different countries without success. I had a Reflux operation a year ago.  The Reflux symptoms have stopped but the cough remains.
The ONLY relief I've had is when my sinus was sprayed with anathesia for nasal endoscopy. I didn't cough for 6-8 hours...heaven.
Symptoms; tickle inside left or right side of throat, tightness and/or tingling in nose, shortness of breath while coughing, lightheaddedness, non-productive, unable to swallow mucus from sinus.
Triggers; scents/odors pleasant or otherwise, standing from lying position, rising EVERY morning, lying on back or right side, being overheated or entering a warm environment from cooler/cold environment, sudden breathing changes, eating powdery or sugary foods such as "Smarties or powdered donuts".
Physicians notations; tightness in nasal passages during endoscopy, no medications affect change, negative for; asthma, rhinitis, GERD, sleep apnea
Alergies (allergies); Asprin sensitivity
I've never smoked, drank, or done drugs.
Have you seen a Laryngologist? Also, I had the same problem for about 1 year along with a lot of other problems.  My Endocrinologist had me come off of my thyroid meds. and lo and behold no more cough.  I know that acid reflux can cause this too.  Do you ever have lyryngitis also?  If you do it is a direct result of inflammation to your vocal chords.
Avatar n tn
Another med that might help is Zelnorm, along with with a low fat diet-high fiber diet.
Avatar n tn
Could a severe blow to the sternum damage the vagal nerve causing the following symptoms?
Heart missing beats; chest pains; digestive problems(constipation) and back pain.
Avatar n tn