Heart Disease Expert Forum
Heart Rate

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Heart Rate

What is the average.heat rate to fire a ICD? Please give me the low side and high. It was just put in on the 13th may 2011. I'm really scared of this thing....
An implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD) is programmed to detect episodes of ventricular fibrillation and ventricular tachycardia. Your ICD is programmed with specific detection parameters and there is is no average rate that would provide you with useful information. The best advice I can give you is to discuss your ICD settings with your cardiologist. You cardiologist can also check your device to see if you have been receiving shocks inappropriately.
.
My ICD was just put in.
Sorry for the repeat of this question
1. What is the average heart rate for a ICD to Fire a shock?
2. Do they wait for the wound to heal before it’s turned on.. . Is it turned on after they implant it??? They didn't do anything to me while at the hospital.
3.  What is the best company’s that make ICD’s

BlueKnight
      Thank you for your response.I make my apologizes for the late response back to to as they are important to me..
      I have new information since being log-in. my low setting is 60bpm and the high side 188bpm. Do you have one? and has it every been tested. They want to test mine next month. Under a controlled atmosphere  there going to bring my heart beat above200 and see if it will zap me.Did they do this to you or know someone that has had it happen to them. I'm having trouble with this test and I feel my heart doesn't need the violence of such a punch. I'm asking for you Input.
Your ICD wasn't tested after it was implanted? did you ask your doctor about this? I would question why wasn't it tested before you left the hospital, how did they know the device even worked? that's not normal protocol You could call or write the dr that implanted your device and ask for a copy of the procedure so you can read what was done in the hospital.

I have a Boston Scientific Teligen 100 and Guidant leads. I have a copy of my procedure and it shows what they did when and what they did to test my ICD right after implant. My icd is set at 60 & 220; with a 20 sec delay for my therapy to try and kick in before mine zaps me. I'm set at 220 because I have NSVT daily (190-220) and don't relish daily shocks.

They implant the device, turn it on, set the parameters and then test it while you're under anesthesia normally, do you think yours was done differently?  Have you had your ICD interrogated (read) yet or have you seen the doctor since your release?

Under a controlled setting if they sedate you, it should be less stressful for you. Ask them for alternatives since you're having issues with having this done.  None of us with ICD's want to be shocked; it's a stressful thing to think about.

good luck hope you get some answers from your doctor; make a list and make sure your personal dr gives you answers