Heart Disease Expert Forum
Heart medicines and joint pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Heart medicines and joint pain

I had two medicated stents implanted 6 weeks ago.  I was 99% blocked in my left main coronary artery.  I had a heart attack when they put in the first stent.  I was started on plavix (caused severe rash) and changed to Ticlid to prevent clotting at the site of the stents.  I am on toporol and crestor and one baby aspirin a day.  I am experiencing severe pain in my right elbow joint and in my right hip and in a bunion on my right foot.  All started after I started my medications six weeks ago.  I am also covered with bruises.  Everywhere I bump, even lightly, swells up and turns bright purple.  I have tried heat and ice for the joint pain and get some temporary relief.  I am in pain 24/7.  Is this normal?  Can I do anything?  Could I do permanent damage to my muscles and joints that are being affected?  
I am not sure that these symptoms are related to the medications you are taking. The only way that ticlid or toprol could cause joint pain is by causing bleeding into the joint: is there swelling/redness around it? The easy bruising and bleeding may be related to an increased propensity to bleed seen with pleople on plavix or ticlid. Ticlid can rarely also cause a syndrome called TTP where your platelet count drops dramatically and can cause severe health problems such as renal failure, seizures and fever. Your symptoms are not suggestive of this but just to make sure I would contact my local doctor and get some blood work to address this.
You have to keep in mind that you have a stent in the most precarious position it could be the left main. If this stent clots or narrows even mildly you could have serious problems. So it is important to make sure that you stay on ticlid or plavix to prevent this from happening.
Muscle/tendon pains may relate to Crestor as it does in my case as well as several neighbors
A related discussion, angioplast vs. heart surgery was started.