Heart Disease Expert Forum
Heart problem

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Heart problem

My son went to the hospital because he was complaining of stomach pain  and chest pain he had a chest x-ray and EKG done the chest x-ray came back that he has pneumonia and the EKG showed prolonged QT. He had a ECHO done it was normal. Also had a 24 hr halter monitor placed it showed a few extra heart beats. Cardiologist says no need for any treatment just a follow up appointment in a year. Recently he came to me and complained that he has been chest pains where his heart feels like it pushing against his bones and that it's going to pop out of his chest. He says that it doesn't last long went to the emergency room to get checked out they did a EKG the doctor says that it looks good the result said inconclusive and also said borderline prolonged QT. Should i be worried or is possible that they are right o say it might just be that he can feel the extra beats. Would it be that painful for him. On a scale of 1 to 10 he says it's 11 when this occurs.
I would suggest an event monitor to see what those episodes of chest pain are: are they simply PVCS or more organized VT? Also the first line medical treatment for LQTS in adults includes beta blockers, but I don't know about this in children, as I am not a pediatric electroplysiologist.  
However, if there are any worrisome signs or symptoms, such as passing out or VT in the event monitor, then an ICD can be implanted to protect against sudden cardiac death.
I think you need to have your son seen by a pediatric electrophysiologist (EP) (heart rhythm specialist) soon. Regular cardiologists aren't always experienced enough with electrical heart problems to properly diagnose long qt syndrome. Everyone in your family needs to be assessed. I have long QT syndrome and wouldn't have found out if one of my children didn't show borderline prolonged QT on an ECG. It took me several months before I could find a cardiologist willing to send us to an EP. Some doctors will say that Long QT Syndrome doesn't have chest pain as a symptom but I have met alot of people with it who have complained of chest pain including my son. Please contact SADS www.sads.org for an experienced EP in your area. The US has some of the world's leading Long QT Specialists, especially at the Mayo Clinic. Try Dr. Michael Ackerman. His contact info is easily found on the internet. He is probably the world's top pediatric long QT specialist. He will respond to people emailing with info on their children.
Good luck with this and go with your gut instincts.