Heart Disease Community
Heart rate and Sodium intake

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Heart rate and Sodium intake

For quite a while, I have noticed that my heart rate increases after eating certain meals.  At first, I didn't really try to find out why, but it always seems after I eat out (such as at a chinese restaurant) my heart rate will increase for several hours.  This led me to think that it might be because of the high salt and MSG content in the food.

However, I am not entirely sure if this is the cause yet...Has anyone else had faster heart rates after eating restaurant food - stuff that you know probably has lots of salt or MSG?
We know that salt increases blood pressure, but there is not nessecarily any proven corilation between high blood pressure and high heart rate, it depends mostly on how your heart responds to these changes. It is common for the heart rate to increase after a large meal, due to the change in blood volume as it shifts towards the stomach/intestinal area to help with digestion. Caffeine and excessive sugars can increase the heart rate as well.