Heart Disease Expert Forum
High MPV, high plasma protein?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

High MPV, high plasma protein?

I am male 40 years
I just did blood test for CBC , morphologic, and plasma comprehensive metabolic panel
everything is normal except
1) plasma protein is high 8.8g/dl
2) MPV Mean Platelet Volume is high 10.9 fl
those 2 are flagged as High

what does it mean? can somebody explain this to me ? I am worried
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Elevated MPV basically means that your platelets are larger than "normal" -- which can be because your body has recently made new platelets, and by definition, "young" platelets are larger than "mature" platelets. As the platelets mature, the size shrinks and the MPV will likely decrease. The question is why your body is making new platelets -- if your platelet count is currently normal on the CBC, then there was likely an acute process (maybe an infection or medication) that killed off some platelets, and your body responded by making new ones. I wouldn't worry about this lab value too much, especially with a normal platelet count.

High protein levels can be normal and nothing to worry about. Seeing an elevated protein alone doesn't bother me, as a physician. What I look at is the difference between the protein and the albumin level. If the difference is greater than 4, then there are extra proteins floating around from somewhere. There are a few things I think about in this scenario -- HIV, Hepatitis B or C, and paraproteinemias (such as multiple myeloma, amyloidosis, etc). Some people have a difference greater than 4 and none of these are the cause, but they are usually things that I check, especially if the person has risk factors.
thanks for the reply. I read in some website that having high MPV can increase your chance of stroke or heart attack. how does my number translate?  does the infection has to be severe or related to internal organ?  is there any specific infection that can cause this? I ask this because I have been having upper respiratory infection (sinus), could this be the infection you are talking about?  my platelet count is normal.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
You would have to have a very high MPV to worry about stroke (the issue is that large platelets have a harder time getting though blood vessels and can get stuck, causing stroke or heart attack). However, your MPV is only minimally elevated and probably only transiently elevated, so I would guess that your risk is exceedingly small. The infection does not have to be severe or "internal" -- for example, EBV (which causes Mono) can cause the platelet count to transiently decrease and your body to make new platelets to compensate. A URI could be the explanation.
I just got a letter from my doctor and he wanted me to go back for more test,  serum protein electrophoresis. my total protein is 8.8 and my albumin is 4.7, this makes my Globulin 4.1. Higher than 4. Should I be worry? what are the possible causes?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Having a difference between total protein and albumin greater than 4 suggests that there are extra proteins circulating for some reason. Typical things that I would check for in that scenario include hepatitis B and C, HIV, and blood disorders such as amyloidosis or multiple myeloma. Many times, the workup comes back negative and there's nothing to explain the elevated protein and nothing to be worried about. Wait to see what the test results show before you worry.
A related discussion, Platelets was started.