Heart Disease Expert Forum
Is there a quick fix to lower blood pressue and heart rate?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

I recently had to perform a step-test for part of a job qualification. After a 3 minute step-test my heart rate was 143 and they said I could not continue with the test. I'm getting another chance at the test in a week and I was wondering what was the best way to get my heart rate down? I already walk daily and go to the gym, so I'm going to go to the gym everyday and use the treadmill and and exercise bike. I also bought a bottle of Coenzyme Q-10 after hearing that it can help the heart.
Dear Jon,

You may need to start on an excersice program to obtain better aerobic fitness.  Your heart went this fast due to deconditioning.  Exercise will lower your weight, your blood pressure and your heart rate.

You should also reduce salt, caffeine and fat consumption.
About 50 MG of Atenolol or some other beta blocker will slow you right down, lower your blood pressure, and also reduce any anxiety that you might have.  It kicks in right away but takes a little time to get used to.  You might get dizzy when you get up quickly.

In the long term, I think that weight reduction and daily exercise is the better way to go.  I have weened myself off of the Atenolol as I have lost weight and gotten in better shape.

I have been taking CoQ10 along with a handful of supplements every day and don't think that any of them have an effect of heart rate.  My doctor says that they just give me expensive urine.

thank you for your comments.

As always, check with a physician before taking any medications.
I also have sometimes high blood pressure, but it normally comes at night time, when I am sleeping.
I wake up, because my heart is pumping too much and my pulse is too high, sometimes 120- 125 and my blood pressure 143 over diastolic 120. I am feeling very tired with a haedache.When I go out of bed and sit in a normal chair for a while (without making myself nervous about this heartritme, very difficult)it slows down and the bloodpressure is going to normal again. 135 over 85 about.I am very light headed in these moments and  breath quite fast.
Sometimes I have a terrible sound in my ears for a few seconds.
When I have such an attack, I am feeling weak the whole day. These attack comes about every 2 to 3 weeks and in between I feel quite often light headed with a normal bloodpressure but with a high pulse, even without doing anything?? (120).
Why do these attacks come at night and why do they accur without any reason.?
Dear Anne,

I am uncertain what these spells might be.  I would check with your internist.  They may represent an inner ear problem.