Heart Disease Expert Forum
Left Ventricular Hypertrophy.

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Left Ventricular Hypertrophy.

I have had 2 ECG's done, one back in January 2001 and the other just this week. 11 months apart.

The first was fine, with no problems.

The second (last week) shows 'Probable LVH'

Now, I am concerned that this has happened with 11 months, I have been under alot of stress but blood pressure has been OK.

I have found this out as I have recently been getting adrenaline
rushes (sweats) after stabbing pains in the chest and general chest discomfort, mainly at rest in the evening.

Should be I concerned as a 28 year old male?, not overweight - though big built and no family history of problems - More a fan of the pub than the gym to my disgrace.

I figure that im not going to just keel over any minute, otherwise the doc would have taken more drastic measures than refering me to a specialist.

Many thanks in advance.
Dear Jamie,
Probably LVH (left ventricular hypertrophy) is a bit vague.  I would really have to see both EKGs to make any judgement.  If the first EKG was normal then it would be unlikely to have significant increase in the left ventricular size in less than a year. The EKG is not the best test to detect to detect LVH, an echocardiogram is much better.   In any case a review of both EKGs (and perhaps a tie-breaker echo?) by a cardiologist is in order to sort this out.  I agree that you are unlikely to "keel over" anytime soon from this.
I have just been diagnosed with high blood pressure, and had an ECG which showed LVH. I am a fit 38 year old male, and am now paranoid that I have a diseased heart and will keel over if I do hard exercise. Is LVH a common complaint, or does it indicate that I have had high blood pressure for too long? Why do many people with hypertension NOT have LVH?

I have the same concern about exercise.

This is dripping with irony of course!, Exercise is good for your heart. But there is a fear in case you keel over.

I guess if things are bad your body will tell you pretty quick!, so perhaps gentle exercise, increasing in strain until you feel confident to really go for it. Or if you feel rotten, then stop.

I'm a 28 year old male from India, i was recently diagnosed with hypertention and LVH. I am on Amlodipine-5mg, Atenlol-50mg and natralix sr.I'm concerned about the quality of my life.Atenlol has reduced my libido and i'm always worried about my old age.I am a very active ,heavy built male.I actually went into depression and have been put on ani depressants.I want know what can lvh lead to. i,ve consulted two doctors both cardiologists.one says i dont have lvh but what he calls a hypertensive heart.the other one tells me to be very carefull.