Nifedipin XL and Metoprolol ER
My father-in-law is 76 years old and has been having fainting spells along with stomach upset and dizziness. His previous doctor had him on Nifedipin XL 60 mg and Metoprolol ER 25 mg. He takes the Nifedipin at night?? and the metoprolol in the morning. All his fainting spells occur at night. They hospitilized him for one week but found nothing wrong with him. Is it possible they didn't consider the drug interactions or the dosing schedule as responsible for the fainting?
He is now afraid to drive or go outside...he is Italian and his english is not good so I don't even know if he told the doctors in the ER about all his meds. We are trying to find him a new doctor so he can get his life back. Help.
My dad, who was 85 at the time, experienced something similar.  He was taking his BP med around noon each day.  He had a spell while driving and had an accident.  One of the ER doctors suggested that he take his BP med at night prior to bed and that fixed the problem.