Heart Disease Community
Numbness in hands

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Numbness in hands

I'm 20 years old my job requires me to do a lot of physical labor which i am use to i work out every night for about 2 hours but since i started this job about a week after i started i was having problems sleeping i wake up cause my hands are burning almost their soo numb the pain is almost unbearable, i wish i could go to a doctor but i cant afford health insurance I was wondering if anyone has herd a case where it started this young again im only 20yrs old
any answers will be greatly appreciated.

This discussion is related to Numbness in hands during sleep.
It is possibly the onset of CTS (Carpal Tunnel Syndrome) In addation, it may also be that you are suffering from a reaction to foods that cause inflammation in the body. Foods from the night-shade family, ie. Peppers, tomatoes, potatoes and eggplant are well known to be avoided by people who suffer from arthritis  (an inflammation disorder). CTS is the result of tissue that swells up (inflammation) around the Median nerve which runs through the carpal bones in the wrist. Blueberries  and huckleberries are to be avoided also since they have alkaloid compounds in them that also cause inflammation. Your symptoms may include a painful selling under your arm pits which indicates the inflammation is affecting the lymphatic system too because there are lymph nodes under the armpits.    Anyone with inflammation  disorders of any sort should try omitting  these foods for 30 days to see if their condition improves. If it does improve then reintroduce them one at a time to ascertain which ones you are reacting to. Hopefully this will help you to alleviate the pain.  If it does, please pass this info on to others so that they may find a measure of relief also.
It does indeed sound like carpal tunnel tunnel syndrome, which you can google.   I would also suggest posting your problem at medhelp's carpal tunnel discussion forum:

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Carpal-Tunnel-Syndrome/show/1216

If Carpal Tunnel is not treated--and early--people can very well find themselves unable to work at all, because it only gets worse if left untended.  

Are you absolutely certain you cannot afford medical care?  Here are some things to think about:

Since you are under 26 years old, I believe you can still be on your parents' health care plan, if they have one.

Are you eligible for Medicaid?

Have you thoroughly checked out the Affordable Care Act (ObamaCare)?  This is one situation where you do want to talk with someone who actually handles the program, rather than relying on word of mouth from acquaintances.  If you google something like 'healthcare.gov', you will find an online form to fill out to see what you're eligible for and what it would cost.

Until you get some kind of health care coverage, you will have to pay out of pocket.  I know that's scary, but it's going to be necessary for you to see someone about this if you want to continue working with your hands.  I'd suggest calling a doctor or seeing if there is a neighborhood clinic somewhere near you.

It's not much talked about, but doctors and pharmacies often have 'sliding scales' or payment plans to help those who are poor.

You don't have anything to lose by picking up the phone and making a few calls to local health care offices.