Heart Disease Expert Forum
PVC's and related arrhythmias

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

PVC's and related arrhythmias

I am a 49 year old male who since early child hood have had episodes of premature beats which are easily felt because I am thin. Past EKG's have usually shown normal sinus rhythms with occaisional pvcs.
Also on exercise I would have runs of rapid 120-140bpm (after) that sometimes went on for hours but kind of outgrew them. Some doctors hear a click or slight murmur. Recently have had more frequent bouts of premature beats that sometimes are accompanied by a spasm like sensation which can be felt with finger tips under the left breast. They only last afew seconds but also create a flush or rush sensation. I recently had a stress test, EKG, and a doppler echo. Stress test was normal and echo was also except for mild regurgitation of the tricuspid and slight of the mitral.
Through the years some doctors have said that I also have MVP but this has not been proven on the echo. I am currently wearing an event recorder and have had 30 events in two weeks which the doc says are benign. However, am scared about the shuddering sensations and incresing frequency of other symptoms. I don't smoke, drink, and have cut out all caffeine. I want to think that I am doing all that I can to ensure my kids have a dad to grow up with. However, the increasing frequency of the symptoms are robbing me of sleep and making me paranoid about travelling etc. They seem to come out of nowhere and last for varying lengths of time. Any suggetions would be most appreciated.
PS have never fainted with these symptoms but have felt faint occaisionally with them.
Dear Bill,

It sounds as though you and your doctors are doing all the right things.  PVC's in general are not life threatening in the presence of an essentially normal heart as appears to be your case.  It does not sound like the MV leakage is of much clinical significance.  

My suggestion would be to talk your increasing sympotms over with your physician.  Perhaps a low dose of a medication such as a beta blocker would help to decrease the frequency of these PVC's and decrease your symptoms.  

Unfortunately, we do not fullly understand PVC's and can only offer supportive care.  Currently there are no cures for these extra beats.

YOu may wish to see other postings regarding PVC's and share your experience with these fellow PVC sufferers.
I am 48 yrs of age, female. I have the same problems but I have three things going on with heart. I just underwent a stress test two days ago and I came through flying colors however, two years ago they found I have a hole in the heart with an bulging aneuraseum over the hole and the mitro valve is actin gup. I am on a bata blocker that slows the heart down so it doens't work so hard. Sometimes the plaps are so often about 5-8 hours daily that I don't feel like I am getting enough oxygen. After stress test, they are talking about closing the hole by smal incesion at the groin and closing it up in hopes it  takes care of all problems expect mitro valve. One day procedure.
I am going through menopause and we thought that could be another problem but that has nothing to do with this.
Hope my input helps.
I started with palps for 5-8 hours daily and though it was coffee so I started taking things away and then they said anxiety and that was not exceptable so I kept pushing. I am an identical twin and my twin had heart murmur but I never had any signs of it.
Until now. So I guess I was born with the hole but the aneuraseum they don't think so. Cause by some injury they said.
Good luck

I AM 72YRS OLD HAD A HEART ATTACK ABOUT 12 YRS AGO HAD ANOTHER ONETHIS PAST JUNE  IAM A VERY HEAVY SMOKER AND CANNOT  

QUITE MY CARDI OLOGIST WILL NOT DO BYPASS THEY DID PUT A STENT IN
IS THIS HAS GOOD AS BYPASS I ALSO HAVE BLOCKAGE IN BOTH LEGS

O

Mary,

It is imperative that you stop smoking.  Have you asked your physician about Zyban as an aid to Quit.  Your heart disease and the blockages in your legs will progress if you don't.

It is up to the discretion of your physician to determine if you will be served better by a stent than bypass. It is likely that you had only one signiciant blockage and that your MD felt that it would be prudent to place the stent.  Stents are in general very good at opening arteries and improving your symptoms. As a smoker, your risk of CABG is greater than a non-smoker.  

However,  you stent will close if you do not control your risk factors for cad including lowering you cholesterol, stopping smoking and controlling your blood pressure.

This is to all the PVC and other irregular heart beat sufferers.  I have Congestive Cardiomyopathy of the inherited variety.  I have PVC's daily and I know how disruptive they can be.  They make you very uncomfortable.  I used to have  very stong PVC's after eating.  I was wondering if anyone else experienced this.  A curious thing....I had my gall bladder removed a couple of weeks ago and have not had PVC's associated with eating since then.  I wonder if the diseased gall bladder was causing extreme distress in the digestive process thus causing my heart more stress than usual and causing more symptomatic PVC's.  

I take Coreg and Zestril.  These medications do not seem to be extremely reliable for me in consistently controlling PVC's.  The medications do seem to have stabilized my disease for the moment and I have not deteriorated in the three years since being diagnosed.

I would strongly urge other families out there to be aware of members of their family with CHF of unknown cause.  It could very well be inherited.  We had no idea of this "pattern" until a series of events that thankfully led to the early diagnoses of me, my sister, my oldest son who is twelve, and my 4 year old nephew.

Good luck to all of you who live daily with any sort of chronic heart disease.  It can be quite a shock to find out you have something of this nature especially if you are very young.
Dear Lisa,

Thanks for your comments.  It is an important point that you bring up.  Family history is an important consideration in evaluating cardiac disease and cardiomyopathy.
Dr. JMF,

Thanks for acknowledging the importance of this.  I felt I should respond again and reveal more details about our situation and why I so strongly encourage others to try to really look at the whole picture and what the implications of undiagnosed disease could lead to versus diagnosed disease and what that could prevent or delay.

Of the four of our immediate family that have been diagnosed in the past 3 years, none of us were symptomatic.  My oldest son who is twelve now, began complaining about not being able to keep up with the other students running the track during PE.  Beyond that there was no other complaint.  Due to my father's event, I decided to be safe rather than sorry and took him to our family physician.  He ran some blood work which was all fine.  He was as paranoid as I due to my fathers heart failure, that something more could be wrong even though on the surface everything appeared normal.  He sent us to a pediatric cardiologist who did an EKG and echo cardiogram.  We found at that time he was affected with dilated cardiomyopathy.  His EF was about 50% which wasn't too bad but his heart was enlarged and he showed hyperkinesis of the muscle.  He began a very conservative drug therapy of 7.5 mg of Vasotec daily.  He has since  had a drastic improvement in the function of his heart with an EF at present of 70%.  Obviously we do not believe that the disease is cured as we know it is incurable, however, if early intervention will prevent or drastically slow down his deterioration then our paranoid pursuit of further evaluation was 100% worth it.

Due to this discovery with my son, I was evaluated and diagnosed, my sister was evaluated and diagnosed, and my 4 year old nephew was evaluated and diagnosed.  Members of my more distant family (uncles, aunts, cousins) have sought evaluation also and there have been several more diagnosed as a result.
Thanks Lisa for sharing your story- I know the devastation this
disease can bring after losing my 16 year old brother to it.  I
have had and will continue to have cardiac checks but unfortunately cannot convince other members of my family to do so.
Perhaps reading your message may sway them.  Best wishes to you and your family.
My best wishes to you and your family as well.  I am very sorry about your brother.  After much research into parts of the family that we have had no contact with for over 20 years (my grandmothers brothers and sisters families) we have found that many in their families have had it or have it now.  The youngest undergoing transplant was 17.  So, as I said, I feel very strongly about families taking this seriously especially when there is an idiopathic cardiomyopathy diagnosis.  

Thanks for letting me know that this could impact your family in a positive way.  My only purpose in posting all the messages on this is the hope that others may benefit from early diagnoses.  As I had previously said when my father was diagnosed in end stage heart failure 11 years ago they labeled it idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy and said there was virtually no chance this was inherited or that we, his children, were affected.

Thanks and good luck.
I have just been diagnosed with both PVCs and a 2 inch cyst was found on my pericardium (through a MRI).  Subsequent EKG, stress and echocardiograms found the PVC.  My cardiologist has never heard of a cyst on the pericardium.  Unfortunately, the cyst was not seen on the echo.  Can this cyst be causing the PVCs?  Is this cyst something I should be worrying about and seeking a second opinion?  I've tried to do some research on the WEB to no avail.  I am currently taking Inderal for the PVCs and it is making me very nauseous and tired.  The PVCs are quite frequent and are definitely more noticeable when resting.  I feel like I have a heavy weight on my chest with difficulty breathing.  I also have frequent chest pain with the PVCs.  Help anyone!!!
Is then the concensus that there is no health risk in having a heart murmur and frequent PVC's?  I am a single mother of 45 and am wondering if there is any warning I should give to my at home children of 17, 21 and 22.  When they start, should the best attack against them to rest?  I do have  alot of stress in my life these days.
my husband has had  two heart attacks with stent placement with each mi~~he suffers from coronary artery spasms and states "he can hear his heart release when spasm releases". he suffers from shortness of breath, pain in left arm and neck, pressure in his chest, sweating upon the slightest exertion. sleeps excessively.
can anyone help us?

his color turns white/gray when he is having a spasm attack.  the drs say he is on the maximum medication and nothing can be done for him. he uses nitro spray many times throughout the day.

list of meds:  1.  nitro spray 4.0
               2.  ten mg norvasc in morning
               3.  five mg norvasc evening~~before bed
               4.  imdur 120 mg er& isosor mono er 60 mg
                   taken in the morning ~~#6 patch ineffective
               5.  lasix 40 mg morning 20 nightly
               6.  glucotrol xl 10 mg er tab morning and evening
               7.  atenolol 50 mg morning
               8.  zoloft 25 mg morning and evening
               9.  temazepam prn
               10. ecotrin 250 mg aspirin therapy
I had a radiofrequency catheter ablation done about three years ago because of episodes of tachycardia.  As it turned out, I had concealed WPW Syndrome.  Since the ablation, I have had intermittent PVC's.  Not many, but I notice them because I am so tuned into anything heart related.  I know I did not have them before the procedure.  Why am I experiencing them after the procedure?  Do I need to worry about them? -- I've been told "No" by my cardiologist.  And, they seem to follow a pattern that is related to my menstrual cycle.  Is this possible?
I have experienced PVC's for the past 7 years.  I have panic/anxiety disorder.  However, with medication this seems to be under control.  The PVC's still continue and create a great discomfort to me thus increasing my anxiety.  I have had all the tests, echo, ekg, holter monitor and event recorder (queen of hearts).  Dr.'s say there is no need for concern.  How and when does one stop worrying about this?  I have cut out caffine, rest well.  I moved recently but up until then I used the treadmill regularly from 15 - 30 minutes 3 to 5 times a week.  Sorry...exercise didn't help to eliminate the PVC's.  Sometimes they would occur during exercise.  I still worry there is something wrong and the Dr.s just haven't found it yet.  This is so scary.  I didn't travel at all for many years and still can't travel without companionship.  At one time I couldn't walk more than two houses past my own.  I am able to get around town alright now with the help of therapy but still feel very restricted.  Any other suggestions or advise?
Hello, I am a 21 year old girl still in University. Today I experienced a pain in my chest which went away after a short while. But I noticed that my heart was beating very rapidly...and I could feel that the beats were somewhat irregular. I was lying on my bed (resting) at the time. My heart beat slowed down and seemed to stabilise after about 10-15 minutes. I have experienced these minor heart pains followed by rapid irregular heartbeat a number of times ever since I was much younger...perhaps once every 5 months. Should I be concerned? Should I consult my family doctor or should I go straight to a specialist? Please advise!!! Thank you very much in advance!!
After reading numerous comments it amazes me how many people suffer through the mvp and pvc's.  When I say suffer, it is such a emotional and psychological issue.  Anxiety sets in and life seems to stop or change drastically from what we know it as.  In some ways it is comforting to know I am not alone.  However, when the pvc's start I am alone and scared to death.  Death, the thing I fear most.  I have a twelve year old daughter at home and want so much to enjoy her growing up, traveling with her and just experiencing life with out finding excuses to do things because of the fear of pvc's causing a heart attack.  What do I do?  Who do I talk to that will truly listen.  Yes, yes, I have had the echo, ekg, holiter, and queen of hearts as I mentioned previously.  Beta blockers no thanks I can't function or sit straight up in a chair on them.  Antianxiety drugs haven't helped as yet.  Do we all have to continually live in constant fear.  Maybe if someone would truly listen, be concerned and give serious advice we could move past this debilating disorder?
I am really glad to have found this site. Suffering with pacs and pvcs are devastating. I suffer with them daily as in all day long I try to explain it to my family but they dont understand me They litteraly control your life. The doctors really arent sure what is wrong.I am 28 two small children I am also on beta blockers these drugs make you so tired The other day the beats got so bad again I went back to the Er nothing they could really do. They did give me some sleeping pills. When the beats get extreme they keep me up all night Does this ever happen to you tommorow I go back to the dr. to see if he wants to change my meds around This disease is so dibilitating, I wish they would find a drug that would cure these things for good. I do feel better that I am not alone.
How nice to learn that I am not alone with my PVCs.  I was diagnosed with them last week after trying to ignore them for a year with the hope that it would just go away- they haven't. I am now on the beta blocker Toprol but it hasn't made much of an impact yet. By the sounds of the other comments here, it may not make much of a difference.
So- is this something we just have to learn to live with? I can easily see going crazy. This is not something that can be just ignored- particularly when they are constant (every 3rd beat or so).

Are there other research sites that offer any hope? Does anyone else wonder about your Doctor's lack of concern or interest about these?

I understand what you are going through. My pvcs pacs are constant as well. Every Dr. I have been to never seems to express the concern I think is needed. I think this may be something that we have to live with. Does your Dr. think there is an underlined problem with yours Im not sure if there are any other web sites. Im researching everything I can about these things.                Hope you feel better. eas
Linda,
I most CERTAINLY understand what you are going through.  Doctors seem to say your ok, but nothing and I mean nothing can compare to that feeling inside of your chest.  It is scary and at times can be debilitating.  Have you talked with your Doctors about a beta-blocker?  They can sometimes help.  Rest assured that if they haven't found anything with all the testing you have recieved then you are ok.  When I feel them coming on, mainly when I exhert myself, I just reming myself that I am ok.  And you are, trust your doctors...they are usually right about these things.  If you want to talk to me, for support or anything like that email me at ***@****.  You are not alone in this thing.
Sincerely,
Collinus Newsome
I to have been having increased episodes of PVC's and am hoping to find someone that may have similar symptoms that has found the root cause.  I am 49 and PVCs started about 5 years ago. Through the day, they are about 2-3 per minute, but 1-2 hours after lunch or dinner they are a lot worse.  I'm wondering if something wrong in the digestive system is triggering them.  I have had the stress test, holter, & echo and no other problems found.  Prior to this year the PVC's would be almost non-existant from April to November, and only a problem in the winter months.  Wondered if allergy could be a factor.  Also wondering if neurological problem could be a factor, noticed hands shake occasionally, which never used to happen. If any of you are experiencing increased PVCs after eating, please post a comment back to me.  Thanks
I began having PVC's about three years ago.  I believe the main triggering element was the medication called Propulsid, which I had been taking for slow gastric emptying.  After doing a lot of research, I began taking the chelated form of magnesium--which has helped both my stomach and the pvc's.  I think it has something to do with muscle contractions, and I'm convinced there is a digestive connection (perhaps the vagus nerve??) which can trigger pvc's.  There is some great information on the importance of magnesium at krispin.com as well as numerous other sites.  I wouldn't be surprised that many of us are walking around with magnesium deficiencies.  My internist seems to think that I'm o.k. because the serum blood test for magnesium shows me to be in the normal range.  But, I have found a test that tests the intracellular levels of magnesium.  Found a doctor who was more open to "non-standard" tests, so she ordered it and yes, my intracellular levels are low.
I also take extra calcium as well as a multi-vitamin, extra C and B-complex, Hawthorne Berry and L-carnitine.  
The pvc's flair up every now and then but nothing like they've been in the past.  I also do not drink anything with caffeine in it, very little alcohol, exercise every day, etc. etc.
Hope this helps someone.
I first experienced PVCs 14 years ago when I was 36, immediately after recovering from a severe case of the flu.  The sensation was of a skipped beat, and after the pause a beat so hard it would shake my body a little while lying quietly in bed.  Although I was in very good physical condition, like many of you, I was afraid I was on the verge of a heart attack (I thought the flu might have attacked my heart somehow).  I had an ECG and was diagnosed with PVCs and told they were benign, and they have proven to be no problem.  In my case they disappear with exercise, and lying on my right side at night minimizes the sensation.  I have found that they come and go over time; sometimes I am unaware of them for months on end.  However, what prompted me to do a search and find this site was that a few days ago I began having very pronounced and frequent PVCs, several times a minute day and night. There's nothing different in my life--no extra stress, unusual caffeine or alcohol consumption--so I don't know what is causing this flare-up. Any ideas, anyone--especially you MDs?
I understand your situation.  I am currently in counseling for anxiety disorder, which is what I believe is the main cause of my skipped beats.  I've been to two cardiologists and ran the gamut of tests, but they can't find anything serious. I was told I was healthy and not to worry about it. Easy to say, but really hard to do.  I tend to have anxiety over situations I can't control, so when the skipped beats occurred two years ago, I couldn't concentrate on anything else, and I freaked everytime I felt one.  Often they aren't frequent, but they do still occur, usually when I've been doing well for awhile.  I fall into the same panic mode--and they will happen a few more times the next few days until something else distracts me. It's a vicious cycle.  I'm glad I've gotten them checked out, and maybe there's more to the story than anxiety.  But I choose to accept that that's my big problem now, so I'm getting that fixed.  The only advice I can give is to try not to freak out or concentrate on why the skipped beats happened.  That's what I'm attempting to do.  Fear is a really powerful thing, and it can do a lot to you physically.  Good luck--I wish everyone the best with this!
Had a second aortic valve replacement in l996 (Dr. Cosgrove, Cleveland Clinic )
Have had PVC's for years but worsening in recent years.
Cardiologist tells me that my PVC's are benign but could develop into malignent arrythmia.  He has put me on amiodarone for life! plus lisinopril and coumadin.
Have lately read in an up to date book by a group of pharmacists that amiodarone can make matters worse and can even cause arrythmias and should only be resorted to in extremely serious arrythmias and only for a very short period.  I have been on amiodarone for 6 months - any opinions?
I am 69 and work out on a treadmill for l/2 hour 3 times a week at 4 miles an hour with no illeffects.
My first valve replacement was a porcine valve in l984 and the last one is bovine.
I am 30 yrs old and in the last month starting feeling flutters, I went to my doc and they gave me an event monitor for little over a week and recently just called me back with the report.  I have Unifocal singular PVC's and are benign. and i should not worry and if they get bothersome they can treat.  I do not want to be on meds unless i have to.  They still make me worry even though the doc said don't worry.  My dad has been getting PVC since he was about 35 or so. Is this a hereditary thing. he is fine and just ignores them.  I also want to get Pregnant again will this interfere or cause problems?  They come and sometimes stay for a while and then sometimes a week or more will go by and I don't notice any.  They recently returned on and off and I don't drink cafffeine. I was extremely stressed with work etc. at the time they started but am not now so why start up again. Do I just learn to live with these things?  Sometimes after eating or during they will flare up and that is the only time of day and others at night when tyring to sleep, they make me jump up from my sleep. upon feeling my pulse in my neck, it feels like my heart stops and starts again. Scary??  Anyone out here (esepecially a doc) who can give me some extra reassurance.
I am 25 years of age and began feeling fluttering in my throat that would last just a few seconds than go away and come back. I started these an hour and a half before the new year came in.  I decided I couldn't wait till tomorrow because it was so bothersome it actually felt like your heart pauses for a second.  I called the ER and they said it was muscle spasm and not to worry.  The next day I called again and told them my symptoms and they took me in and gave me an EKG in which they noticed a slight arrythmyia problem they told me not to worry and put me on a EKG monitor for awhile there they noticed my heart would race up and down while resting it wuld shoot up to 132 and go back down in two heart beats.  I was terrified no matter what the doctor told me I was picturing me dead.  Since then I have blood work which showed my potassium was low so I am on pottasium pills an ECG and a holter monitor done.  All of them shows I am healthy nothing wrong with my heart or heart valves.  Thats after seeing 4 different cardiologist and two doctors.  I am also on toporol daily but I am still getting feelings of my heart racing when its not and a feeling of not getting enough air sometimes and coldness.  Is there anyone out ther that can relate to these symptoms and ease my mind or give me another route to try please write a reply thank you!
WOW, you described what I have been feeling for a while...  I say it is a weird feeling in my lower throat... I say like combustion air meeting air... or something like that...  It is really weird and freaky... My Cardiologist says it is PVC's....  If you want to e-mail me my address is ***@****
Well i have been surprised by reading everyones messages as to how common PVCs are and maybe the doctors are right about not worrying too much about them or else we wouldn`t all be here reading this!! I am 30 and have recently been placed on Atenolol 50mg daily for high blood pressure 155/95 and believe you me once you realise you have a health problem things start to go downhill for you for instance my h.b.p caused me to become very anxious which in turn caused me to have more PVCs (or was it just because I was now aware of them?), then you get strange twinges , or sweating like a pig when you never had any of these things before. I am to have an echo next month so hopefully all will be fairly well which will then in turn release some of that anxiety and so on and so forth, but I think people need to be positive and don`t be afraid to seek help (I know doctors can be hard work sometimes due to their workload), for instance I was told all I had was anxiety until I put my foot down and requested an ECG and then it was found I had some LVH ,but better to know than not know and so be able to do somethig about it, although I must confess it was a little scary getting constant PVCs for 24 hours after joining a gym to get myself fit. Has anyone else noticed this heart thudding after exercise. Still like I say one must think positive as believe you me in almost every case i`ve read about it seems people have become anxious as a result of their PVCs as I know they are not pleasant but once you understand that as a rule they are not life threatening and can be had by the fittest of people then one may get some peace at last!!
I am a healthy 28 year old and also suffer from multiple PVCs whilst exercising which can be a little disconcerting, so I take it slowly these days-walking for 1 hour a day instead of aerobics and swimming.  One thing that my cardiologist did warn me of, he said that if I continue to exercise during the PVCs there is a chance that they may degenerate into A-fib and I don't want, the PVCs are enough thanks very much.  So please take care, don't push yourself too hard during exercise and good luck with your echo.
I have never heard of PVC's turning into A-fib before, I was always told that if you get seven or more in a row, it was considered V-Tach, not a good thing to have happen and worse is V-Fib depending on where the PVC occurs in the heartbeat it can set of V-Fib.  PVC's are from the Ventricles so it can disturb the normal beat.  Atrium beats are not as serious and the Ventricle ones, PAC's I believe can go into the A-Fib, A-Flutter, or A-Tach.  I also get PVC's when I excercise, much less most of the time, as well as PAC's.  It is very common and it is very rare for it to turn into the V-Fib.  I don't do much excercise because the faster my heart goes the more I get.  Has anyone else heard about the PVC's turning into A-fib?
Thankyou for your reply, I would like to point out that I don`t seem to get this heart thudding during exercise but I did get it for 24 hours after which was a shame because it has stopped me from  going to the gym again,which to be honest I had only just started an I did very little cardiovascular exercise. Do you or anybody out there know exactly what my ecg reading meant? It said I had minimal voltage criteria for lvh and something about pre-eptopic complexes and my ecg was borderline, on the info I have given does this sound like something I should be very concerned about or am I just getting a warning sign, because I think that it is years of drinking every night that has caused this outcome and my h.b.p. is another warning sign to slow down , or does anybody think I should realistically give up all smoking and drinking, and will my heart return to normal(ish!!). I would greatly appreciate any info as all this has come on me very suddenly and is causing great anxiety. Please respond either to this excellent site or E-MAIL me at alan.***@****. THANKS
I thought I would pass on some interesting news to all of you in hopes maybe someone else is taking Claritin for their allergies.  I have been on Claritin for about 5 years.  My original posting talked about my PVCs getting much worse lately.  The cardiologist suggested changing my allergy medication from claritin to allegra.  I thought I would try no allergy medication at all and about 10 days after stopping the Claritin, my PVCs are basically GONE.  After dinner they used to be the worst about 1 PVC per every 4 or 5 regular beats.  Now I've only felt 2 or 3 a day with none on some days.  I've heard that Claritin D could cause palpitaions but not regular Claritin.  I'v just started drinking 1 cup of coffee in the morning without causing any more PCVs.  I'm convinced it was the Claritin causing the problem.  Hope this may help someone.  Good Luck to all of you with the PVC problems.
After reading all these entries, I am in tears. I had no idea that so many people were suffering and having their lives ruined as have. I have been experiencing similar symptoms for more than 10 years now.  

My PAC's began halfway through my pregnancy with my son in Tokyo Japan almost 11 years ago.  The doctors there treated me with Valium and told me to relax and not to worry so much.  After my return to the U.S. I began having severe episodes of skipped heartbeats for weeks at a time, and then they would just disappear for months, even years.  

In 1992, I had a sonogram and was diagnosed with Mitral Valve Prolapse.  I also have had episodes of Panic Disorder throughout my adult life.  I have made numerous trips to the ER for this condiditon and have been to every kind of doctor.

My family practitioner suggested that I may be suffering from depression.  My gynecologist thinks I may be peri-menopausal (early).  And my cardiologist can offer no treatments except digoxin (which seemed to make the arrhythmia worse) and Toporol (a beta blocker which turned me into a zombie after about 4 days).  

A psychotherapist diagonesed me with Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome and treated me with EMDR (a mild form of hypnosis).  Acupuncture also seemed to help somewhat, mostly for helping me to regain my stamina.  

I often find that listening to my own heartbeat with a stethoscope seems to help.  It's a simple form of biofeedback.  A glass of wine will often relax me in the evenings. But these are not always an option when one has to function.

I am also looking into something called HeartMath, Freeze Frame and Cut Thru by a man named Doc Childre.   His techniques are getting favorable attention and feedback from the cardiology world. You can find web pages about this by plugging these names into any search engine.

I am currently going through another severe episode of skipped beats which have been increasingly disturbing over the past several months.  I've missed several days of work this month and am beginning to worry about my future livelihood.

What I would like to ask everyone is:

How do you cope with daily life?  How do you function at your jobs and meet the demands of parenting while experiencing these symptoms? How do you make plans for simple outings and ever hope to fulfull your dreams for the future?
An addendum to my above entry:

I forgot to mention that a nutritional supplement called Coenzyme Q10 has helped immensely.  Probably more than any single thing I have done to combat this condition.  I take 30 mg every day.

Also another question:
Have any women out there with heartbeat irregularities noticed any correlation between the ovulatory and menstrual phases of the monthly cycle and episodes of arrhythmia? Mine seem to be worse at those times during the month.
P.S.
I can be reached by e-mail at ***@****
i am so thankful to find a forum where there are similar symptoms as mine.  I am a 36 year old female and started having pvc's about a year ago.  I was taking sudafed at the time maybe once or twice a day and that is about the only thing that was different in my life when the pvcs started.  At first i ignored them and then went to see a doctor.  they had me do the holter and diagnosed me with pvc -told me it wasn't serious and that was all.  since then they come and go.  seems lately they are worse.  today i feel maybe 6 or 7 every minute. They feel like a big "rush" in your chest, similar to the feeling you get when you are driving and are about to suddenly hit a car. they seem to be more noticeable when i am still (sitting, eating, driving, etc.).  they also seem to be worse in the evening.  i am an avid runner and they don't get worse when i run.  I sometimes get right sided chest pain but i don't know if it is related or just a pinched nerve in my neck.  I tried no caffeine but it didn't seem to make a huge difference.  has anyone noticed if being well hydrated makes a difference?
i am a 36 year old female and have been having pvcs for over a year.  when they started the only thing i was doing differently was taking sudafed once or twice a day for sinus problems.  they have continued off and on since.  now they seem worse.  today i seem to have about 6-7 a minute.  they feel like a swell in your chest and like a rush that you get -the feeling you might have when you are driving and about to hit something-that rush of adrenalin i guess.  it is very annoying.  sometimes it feels like it is almost coming up in my throat.  it seems to be more noticeable at rest (sitting, eating, driving).  I run and ran a marathon in the fall and it did not get worse with that.  I rarely feel it when i run.  I tried stopping all caffeine and it didn't seem to make much of a difference.  sometimes too I feel like i have to take a deep breath to get enough air (especially when i fly or go high altitudes).  I also notice it sometimes feel like i can't breathe deep enough-this doesn't happen often and is not scary but just feels like i need to take a deep breath. this thing is really weird.  i am not on meds and from everyones feedback it doesnt sound like a great idea.  i would like to hear more about alternative therapies-acupuncture?  good luck to everyone.  i know this is frustrating.
I can attest to the debilitating nature of PVCS.  I also seem to notice them more when I am ovulating and during my cycle.  One thing that helps me, is to know that these things are not life-threatening.  They are more annoying than anything and worrying about them makes them worse.  We all have to get to the point where we decide in our minds that we are not going to let this control us!  I don't know how or what to tell you to help you get to that point, but just decide in your mind what you are going to do and let nothing stand in your way!  The mind is a powerful entity.  Don't let it control you!
Good Luck to everyone and God Bless,
Mag
Celeste - how long have you been taking the co-enzyme q10 for it to make a difference.  Do you get PVC's everyday?  I have read other things on the internet that others say co-enzyme has helped them as well (even better than beta blockers!).  Please respond.
Wendy,
I started taking CoQ10 about two years ago.  I learned about it from a lovely woman whom I found on an internet newsgroup.

At that time, I had been nearly flat on my back for 3 months with PAC's that were almost incessant. I had quit my job, and pretty much given up on life. I tend to be skeptical, phobic even, about anything that comes in a pill. I had recently tried both digoxin which aggravated my condition, and Toporol which turned me into a zombie after only 4 days.  

Before I tried CoQ10, I researched it thoroughly through the internet and by corresponding with people who were taking it for similar heart conditions.   Apparently it is a naturally occuring substance, manufactured metabollically in the human body in diminishing quantities as we age, and found in many food sources, the richest being beef heart (yuk!). But CoQ10 is implicated in almost every cellular function, especially the contraction of cardiac muscle.

Because I tend to be hypersensitive to all kinds of drugs and supplements, I started with 10mg/day, a low dosage which is really hard to find.

Eureka! After only 2 days on that tiny dosage of CoQ10, I was like a new woman. I've never experienced anything like it.  I was amazed at my renewed energy level, and the fact that it virtually eradicated my episodes of arrhythmia. Best of all, there were zero side effects. It was a godsend!

I don't know if my case was an exception, or if CoQ10 has this effect on everyone.  Perhaps my sensitivity worked in my favor this time.  Since the 10mg caps are so hard to find, I reluctantly upped my dosage to 30mg/day which seems to be the most common dosage. I've even taken as much as 50 mg/day when I ran out of the 30's.  But 30mg/day seems to be the right amount for me. Dr.Andrew Weil says that he takes 100mg/day for general wellbeing. And one woman I read about in a newsgroup today varies her dosage according to the demands of her day, sometimes taking as much as 300mg.  But at the price of the stuff, one has to wonder how she affords it.  Between the CoQ10 and the price of gasoline these days.....geez.  But there are times when I have suffered so much with this that I would gladly have given anything (except my child) to end the torment.

Interestingly enough, I spaced out and forgot to take my supplements for 2 days in a row last week and have paid dearly in severe episodes of arrhythmia all weekend.  Just today, I have finally gotten stabilized and back on my feet again.  I guess it takes a few days for it to deplete or build up in your system. I won't be skipping it again, that's for sure.

I hope this helps you and any others who may be considering trying it.  I think CoQ10 is an undiscovered panacea that will someday be recognized for the crucial role that it plays in cardiac health.

Peace and health to you, and thanks for responding.

Celeste

P.S. In case you don't already know about it, this is a good e-mail circle / newsgroup with an archive of over 3000 entries:  

http://www.onelist.com/messages/PeoplewithPVCs
I'm only 22 yrs. old, but I know exactly how you feel!  You'd think this sort of thing wouldn't happen in young people, but the docs said that it can in young females.  Lucky me.  I've been feeling the palps for 3 years now (2 or 3 times a WEEK) and just two days ago they started being continuous. (From 3-19 Sunday afternoon to now on 3-21 Tuesday night).  When it started happening, Sunday, it felt sort of like a jolt.  Like someone gave me a quick little nudge in the chest.  I lose my breath, and it usually makes me cough a little.  I can't help it.  I have no idea when it will happen.  Sometimes I feel a little faint, too.

On Monday night I started having chest pain, so I went to the ER.  Doc said that it was either an MVP or a PVC.  When I looked it up on AskJeeves.com, the PVC definition/diagnosis was right on target.  This morning (Tues.) I went to a cardio. doc and when they saw my reaction to the PVC, they're expressions were very concerning to me.  As if they hadn't seen that sort of reaction before.  They did an EKG, which picked up one PVC.  They also did an ultrasound on my heart.  And when she was almost done it happened.  It was quite scary watching my heart jump like that.  The nurse hooked me up to this stupid contraption...holter monitor...and I've been wearing it since 11:50AM.  
It's now 11:35PM and this monitor has overstayed its welcome hours ago.  I've also had to keep a time, activity, & symptoms diary (very annoying).  I've realized that I get the PVC's as soon as every few minutes to as far as every 15 minutes.  I also calculated them from 11:54AM to 11:37PM (now), and do you know how many PVC's I've had???  183!!  
Is this normal??  Am I going to be alright?  I know how you feel about wanting to be around for your children.  I have a 14 mo. old son, Dylan.  And besides my husband, Dylan is my life and my joy.  He's basically with me 24-7.  I work at a daycare and he even goes with me.  I'm afraid that this will affect how I'm able to care for him.
Anyway...I hope that it helps you to know that there are others who are in your situation...and are in waiting as to what we can do.  Just remember...God has a plan, and I just hope that His plan is for you to be a great-grandpa and for me to be a great-grandma someday.  God Bless and take care!!

~ Andie
I am relieved to find others with PVCs like me, but also sad that there are so many people who suffer with these and don't get the help we need. I am a 44 year old female and I think I have had them all my life at times, but they got a lot worse about 11 years ago when my kids were small and I was under a lot of stress. I have them mostly under control now and I can tell you what I recommend:
1. See your doctor first and have all the heart tests done to see if there is something else wrong with your heart.
2. If he/she recommends a beta blocker, TAKE IT. It will make you tired at first, but that is what you need if you have been having a lot of PVCs and are very anxious about them.
3. If the beta blocker isn't enough to stop the PVCs completely, see a psychologist or therapist to discuss your own personal history and your ability to cope with stress, panic attacks, and worry about your health and the PVCs themselves. You may be helped by an SSRI (anti-depressant) or another panic or anti-anxiety medicine.
4. If you are a woman, see your gynecologist and have blood tests done on your thyroid and hormone levels. You may be entering perimenopause or may just have always had erratic hormone levels and that can calm your mind to know that's what it is, whether you need to take hormone therapy or not. None of our bodies are perfect and we can all have fluctuating hormone levels that cause us problems throughout life. Even guys have changes in testosterone levels, but they can't measure and predict them like we do with menstruation. It helps to accept that we're not perfect.
5. Stop consuming caffeine in every form (that means no coffee, tea, colas, chocolate and even decaf coffee because it still has traces of caffeine. Be strict with yourself. It will calm you a lot. Accept the fact that you may be tired. Rest when you are tired instead of drinking caffeine to hype you up.

I have found that taking the beta blocker and an SSRI have helped me a lot, along with curing my migraine headaches which were very bad, and the panic attacks I got from the PVCs. I have accepted the fact that I have a very sensitive nervous system and notice things like PVCs and get them more often than other people. I am also prone to allergies and emotional sensitivity, so it makes sense that my whole system if hyper-sensitive. I worked through my family history with a psychologist and that really helped clear my mind. The beta blocker and SSRI dull my senses a little, which is the only way I can survive in life and I am happy to accept them as long as I need them. I am probably entering menopause now and expect that once I'm through it this will be better. If you are a Mom at home with small children, please be reassured that I was there once and was terrified I would drop dead from PVCs, but I never fainted even once and I have seen my girls grow into beautiful teenagers now. It helped my attitute when I got to the point that I just said to myself "Fine, drop dead. I can't stop these PVCs, and I can't stop this stress, so I don't care. I'm going to ignore them and let them go until I just drop and then someone else can deal with these problems." Once I faced them like that they were better and I felt tougher. I hope you all feel better soon. Take care.
You speak a lot of sense and a lot of people will benefit from your knowledge you deserve a big pat on the back for sharing your knowledge with everyone
I have read through the discussion board and find I am having a similar experience with these PVC's.  I have gone to my doctor twice for EKG's and had the 24-hour halter.  The halter showed 100 to 150 PVC's per hour over twenty four hours. The doctor is now sending me for a stress test.   I have over the last two months gone from no symptoms, to palpitations continuously all day.  The worst episodes are when I eat, drink, or basically stop moving.  Sleeping has become the worst part of the whole thing. When I am sleeping I am ok, but the problem is getting to sleep.  I find at the worst times it is coming every 4 beats.  During the day I have just plain stopped eating on the job.  I work at a desk and think I would probably be better digging holes, maybe I would not feel them as much.  I do know my nerves/anxiety amplifies it by ten times.   After my doctor called and told me the usual news (they are not life threatening) I felt better for about two days almost like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders.  Then I started to second-guess the doctor, and got nervous, and they came back with a vengeance.  I am hoping they might fade away (maybe even if for a while) and give me a break.  I do know if I get good nights sleep that holds them off for the beginning of the day.    I also found my secondary problem is my frustration with the health care system.  My doctor and me seem to disagree on how serious these are.  Getting to see a Cardioligist is at least a four week wait.  The only thing these PVC's seem to be good for is losing wieght.  Fear of death diet.   Anyone want to email me ***@****

I have had PVCs for six years, ranging between hundreds to 15 thousand a day.  These also include VTs.  I noticed eating meals caused the PVCs/VTs to act up quite a bit.  I asked my electrophysiologist and he mentioned that when we eat, our bodies release something (sorry, I do not remember what it was) that sends something to our heart (very vague, but a doctor should be able to explain).  The bottom line is, you're not imagining it at all.   Shortly before I had an ablation, I feared eating a meal because I knew it could trigger VTs.  You're not alone.

I understand what you all have been going through.  I am 44 years old, and always been in good health. I started to have irregular heart beats a few weeks ago when I went for a walk, and felt very faint and dizzy.  Since then my pulse was high, and my heart was skipping beats.  One night I couldn't lie down because my heart was pounding so much.  I had to sit on a chair, and try to get some sleep.  I had tried to take all kinds of herbs that are supposed to help, but nothing worked.  But, I had faith that somehow I would be healed.

Then a cardiologist prescribed me Atenolol which is used for high blood pressure and irregular heartbeats.  I usually don't like to take any medicine, but this time I had to give in because nothing else seemed to work.  My heartbeats became normal two hours after taking the first pill three days ago, and I haven't had any skipped beats since. Now I take my pills without questioning, and am happy to sleep my nights peacefully.

I hope that you'll find a good cardiologist that can help you.
God bless you all.
Helen
Yeppers Same here... when i eat sometimes toooo much i feel them... I know that i feel them more when i go close to 180 pounds too.. lol.. go figure.. i work out and don't get them,,, I do know one thing,, that stress test.. WOW.. what a workout.. the echo-cardiogram,, i think that was it,, where you see your heart beating after the Stress test was real cool... the doctore said it was perfect.. made me feel much better,,, they also said that PVC's are othing to worry about the most you can do is pass out.. I can deal with that.. unless i am driving!!! :)

anyway you can email me ***@****
This is just a general post to all the PVC sufferers.  I find it very sad that with today's medical advances, we have to be stuck with this annoying heart condition.  I suffer PVC's and occasional rapid heart beats apparantly as a symptom of my MVP.  On some days it has consumed my life.  As I type this, the PVC's are occuring, not many, but enough to make me wonder if there isn't some kind of hormone injection or something to cause them to go away.  I'm on Inderal 3X a day (10 mg) and BusPar for anxiety.  Not much help for the PVC's. They are less forceful, but just as frequent.   Drinking alot of water seems to help, but I get waterlogged!  I always get more in the morning and less later in the day, and I always get them while I'm eating or right after, and they seem to be worse just before my cycles.  If I was prone to this condition, why didn't they show up in this frequency years ago instead of only in the last year.  I am 42, but not premenopausal according to blood tests.
I've suffered with PVCs for many years now, and I still get panicky when they occur.  This weekend I had an episode in a restaurant during my sister's wedding rehearsal dinner and had to ask my husband to take me back to the hotel.  I can usually stop an episode by coughing, but this time it didn't seem to help.  I started to panic.  I don't get them all the time, but I do have several episodes everyday.  I get cold and sick to my stomach, but I think it might be due to the panic I feel.  I also suffer from panic disorder and these don't help that situation at all.  I take 5mg. of Paxil everyday for the panic disorder which seems to help except for when I feel the PVCs.  I've had several holter monitors and EKGs and echocardiograms during the years and they all tell me it's a benign condition, but they seem to be getting worse as I get older (I just turned 45).  They are ruining my life.  Thank you for listening, I just needed to express my fears.
Hello - this is a general message to all - basically I have been sitting here in amazement reading the comments on this forum and feeling so grateful that I am not alone!
I have had PVC's, PAC's and parxysomal tachycardia for 10 years now.  It all started when I was pregnant and like others on this site I notice a distinct correlation between ovulation and just prior to my cycle.
My cardioligist has recently prescribed a calcium channel blocker which he says helps some people with these beats.  Has anybody out there tried this?  I don't like taking any medication, however take 1mg of valium at night to sleep better!
I work full time and WON'T LET THIS CONDITION BEAT ME!!  Sometimes after I get a few PVC's in a row I break out in a sweat and feel as if I will pass out - does this happen to anyone else? Also does anyone have a dramatic increase in symptoms when lying down - especially on their left side?  I can sometimes bring them on by lying down this way and then when I sit up they stop!
Like others I find all this very difficult to accept - I now suffer panic attacks - I am sure as a result of having had this horrible thing for so long now.
It has been a great comfort to read all of your comments and would appreciate any answers to my above questions.
Love to all
Susan in South Australia
Susan, As you can see there are many who suffer from pvc's in many forms and numbers. Panic and anxiety tend to feed off the arrhythmias. I know myself that lying on either the right or left side make them worse. Also the shakiness and other related symptoms are common. I also have pvc's with long pauses where there are 2 or three in a row and these are especially troubling. Beta blockers work for some but all have side effects. I work two jobs and that is very difficult when experiencing these symptoms. Know you are not alone in your suffering and if you need to talk feel free to e-mail me or I am sure many of the other postee's for support.

Good luck and best regards
To Linda Johnson and the rest of the Kindred Souls out there-
I understand the fearful and almost surreal feeling of the total change in your life so suddenly.  I am 26 years old and 10 weeks pregnant with my first child.I was just told I have MVP with moderate to severe regurgitation (I had never been diagnosed with this before). The 2 cardiologists I have seen tell me (while I am sitting in front of them in their office) to proceed with the pregnancy (although I have already been told that may not be the case in subsequent pregnancies) and they foresee zero problems with this pregnancy itself, but use words on the follow up reports  like "may need surgery in the future" and "severe and eccentric mitral regurgitation", "significant regurgitation", "unsafe leakage". The reports also show I have no current heart damage or enlargement. I have yet to have any symptoms except extreme anixety from the confusion and despair I feel thinking that I may not be able to properly care for my child or my biggest fear, surgery or DEATH. The doctors I deal with are somewhat uncompassionate and seem to want to rush you out of their office.  One of the amazing things I experienced was filling out the initial paperwork at the cardiologist's office....all they seemed concerned with was my insurance.  My attending doctor was going to fax over the necessary referral, but they wanted an original and made me sign a waiver agreeing to pay in full if that referral failed to get to their office in time. I was scared and the last thing one my mind was clerical rules. My other experience was lying on a table getting an ECHO and EKG and the Technician and assistant and cardiologist standing over me pointing to the screen, grimacing and speaking to each other in medical jargon i could not understand.  When I asked what they were talking about, they were evasive.  When I got dressed to leave they said "good luck".  Wonderful.
I have suffered anxiety attacks since I was 13 and have been treated for general anixety disorder.  Before finding out about my MVP, I hadn't had an panic attack for over 2 years and stopped taking the prescibed Xanax. I finally felt good. I thought I finally had a handle on things...until this.  Now I am literally paralzed by fear and foreboding.  I feel alone. I feel hopeless. I am truly in shock. The only time I feel better is reading the comments in this forum.  We, the sufferers of this disorder or other related heart disorders, need to stick together, because obviously we cannot count on the professionals to give us the serious advice and support we need (or a straight answer).
I would appreciate any one who feels as I do, e-mailing me.  I would like to give support and receive support from people who not only know, but feel what I feel.  My e-mail address is Dollylo55@AOL.
Thank you and you all are in my prayers.
Jamie

I do have PVC's quite often too. After some negative testing (ECG, Stress-ECG..) I know that they are not dangerous. Nevertheless it feels scary to feel your heart working irregularly. I have noticed that the more I think of the PVC's the worse my heart gets. This gets me into anxiety, which worsens
my heartrate and so on and so on.
The more I think about life, plan, enjoy .... the better I feel and less PVC's do I have !!

Recently I decided that I wanted to hear my heartbeats myself and did some simple records on which I caught some PVC's and PAC's as well. If anyone is interested in getting such a short audio, mail to ***@**** . It is interesting to hear once yourself what your heartbeat does and not to feel it only.

Greetings

Loren
I have the same thing as most of you.  I am 29, dont drink or smoke, BUT I have a rather nasty caffeine habit.  When I was in high school I developed PVC's, and I would usually average 1-2 a min.  I can feel them also with my finger on the left side of my cheast. They feel like a big "thump" and then there is a pause.

When i got out of high school the calmed down alot, and caffeine does not seem to affect them.  I have been having more bouts of the past few weeks due to college and general stress I think.  I also cut back on my caffeine (did not intend to, just happend) and I think that lowering my caffeine intake may have made the PVC's become more frequent again.  I also get a "head rush" when they happen.  My only thing is that VERY rarely (like a few times a year) I will get a RUN of them where I will have like 5-10 PVC's in a few secs time, that is a bit scary.  Doc has siad they are beign.
After feeling like a fool following a visit to the ER, I was pleased to find this site...The doctors reaction to my PVC's was apathetic.  He smiled and said most people do not feel them.  Go home. easy for him to say..They control my life. I agree, they precipitate a panic attack....You get so you are afraid to try new things for fear of having an attack.  I however do pass out with them.  My doctor assures me that nothing is wrong, but as a woman who lives alone, fainting is a scary think.  I hate to drive when I am like that. I fear that I shall pass out behind the wheel and kill someone. He does feel there is a connection with vaso vagal in my case and encourages me to stay well hydrated. Reduction in caffein and other stimulants doesn't make a difference, nor has the bata blockers. Today I am to double the dose of my meds. I have low blood pressure  and the thought of lowering it even more does not excite me.  I fear the dreaded fainting spells.  I have been through numerous tests, including neuro-work ups. MVP abd PVC's are all that they find. I resent the doctors shrugging this off as merely an inconveinience.  It creates a fear which in turn aggravates the symptoms. I am supposed to see my doctor for a follow up visit next week. I am so frustrated I don't htink I will go. He will say the same old thing, but not offer any relief for my symptoms.
To Michele

What do you mean with: I do pass away...?
I have PVC's as well and am fighting anxiety or even then and then panick attacks. Feel free to e-mail if you want ***@****  . I know what you're talking about ! How long have you had this condition ? Do you have an irregular heartbeat occasionaly or constantly ?

Loren
Well, here I go.  I went to the emergency room friday night with the following symtoms (symptoms).  Pain in the neck and shoulder, flushness chest pain since last sunday that comes and goes.  I have felt like I had to take a deep breath, and I had sweaty palms.  Also a high nervousness feeling.   They drew blood and took chest xrays.  Before they decided to keep me overnight they told me that my blood test came back negative for heart attack.  The cardioligist came by that morning and said he wanted to do a echocardiogram and a echostress test.  All came back negative and he discharged me.  I can't help but to feel like something is going on.  The doctor told me that everything is fine.  I needed to go on a low cholesterol diet and exersice.  Why do I still feel hints of these symptoms, a day after.  My mom has just had 3 stents put in as many months and I think I am driving myself crazy with all this stuff.  Can anything help put my mind at ease?
This is incrdible. I thought I was the only one that felt this way. SInce high school I had thought I was out of shape. Never could really exercise. While I am not fat, the exercise would be nice.
I have regular bouts with PVCs, and the attacks have become... more liken to a bad habit. My body(mind) has become used to them. For the longest time I was on some serious medications and I ended up racking up some huge hospital bills. Mostly for observations and medication adjustment.

I am currently on Toporol and Lanoxin. I have my lanoxin level checked every three months. For the first time in years I have knocked the episodes down to bearable.

I also got aggrivated with the doctors saying, I was too sensitive and there was nothing they could do. At one time they were going send me to have a Maze procedure done.

Needless to say at 30 years old. Open heart was not  high on my list. I can now say that with the meds mentioned here, I am finally living.... as normal as I can.

For those that are fearing this, keep the faith. Keep beating you doctors up about it. Maybe one day we can overcome this.

Bob
Well folks I too have been dealing with PVC's .I had my first episode when i was 24. I am ow 52 and still having them but not as frequently. I do on occaision have a multiple which is extremely uncomfortable and you always wonder "is this the one that is going to take me out." I am on atenenol 50mgs. a day and they definately help. If i forgget to take one in the morning i know it by thee afternoon when the skipping begins. I have for years tried to tie this to diet and have even charted what i eat and drank to see if it coinsided with the pvcs. The things I know to avoid now are caffiene, nicotene, especially together seems much worse, any medication like Contact or ones like it,If I get a cold I tough it out rather than use them. Items I suspect and try to avoid are msg, and nutrasweet. As for sleeping that is another thing. For reasons I can not explain somenights I am just on the brink of sleep and I am jolted back awake. There is a very strange feeling that goes with it like you have to move to make it stop. This I hate even more than the pvcs. Has anyone experienced this ? I also have wondered if sleep apnea has a part in this whole scenario. As far as doctors I have been through all the same tests and procedures that you all have with the same apathetic responses. The classic was when the DR. says to me "Well it hasn't killed you in the last 25 years whats the problem. What we need is a doctor who suffers from these things himself before we will ever get one who understands. I hope this helps someone feel free to Email me on this subject at ***@****
Just to say that most of your stories could be my story.  I have a lovely home and family but my life is overshadowed with heart irregularities.  I too feel nervous to go out, work, travel, because I never know when an attack will begin.  I am 44 now and have had trouble since being a teenager.  I have met with the same medical brick walls and unsympathetic doctors - I think basically, we're stuck with this thing.
Best Wishes to all of you.
I've just logged on to this website and found it somewhat comforting to find that I am one of thousands that suffer from PVCs.  The Doctor told me they were not life threatening, but of course it doesn't feel that way when you're having them.  They started about a year ago (I'm 41)and fortunately they have diminished to almost nothing.  As to what causes them...definately stressfull situations such as driving through an unfamiliar city, giving an impromtu presentation or having the school call to say that your child has been hurt.  I have also noticed a correlation between heartburn or acid reflux and PVCs.  I have suffered heartburn for many years, since the birth of my first child, and I beleive that the lining of my oesophagus has in some way deteriorated, allowing acid, by osmosis, to physically affect my heart.  Do you remember disecting a frog at school and putting salt water on its heart to make it beat?  Well I think it the same kind of thing.  The close proximity of the stomach acid may affect the conductivity in the heart causing the slight malfunction of the electrical impulses, resulting in PVCs.  If it were your car you'd call it preignition.  So, if I take an antacid as soon as I feel the onset of heartburn or indigestion I don't get any PVCs.  If I don't take the antacid and become uncomfortable with heartburn I get PVCs.  I have also experienced a fast pounding heart when not exercising (or dreaming of Mel Gibson) and I have pinned this down to food.  Highly processed foods that contain a lot of salt, MSGs, colors and flavorings make my heart pound and give me a headache.  It can be very difficult at times to avoid these types of food but I would advise anyone with the same symptoms to try a change in diet.  Buy fresh vegetables, meats and grains, if you have to buy packages read the labels.  Of course there are pesticides on the vegetables and growth hormones in the meat but it's a step in the right direction.  I'm glad to have the opportunity to give my two pennies worth in this forum.  To all of you that have PVCs, try not to worry and steer clear of the pizza!
Please everyone suffering from PVC's, check out my post under heading, "What's causing my pvc's".  GOOD LUCK TO ALL.
WOW  can't believe all of you are out there. I have been having PVCs and PACs for about 5 months now. Same story as all of you.
The doctors test and test. No problems except the arrythmias.
Sometimes i get them every third of fourth beat, Scares the heck out of you,The feeling of shortness of breath and general anxiety is really disconcerting.I also have asthma brought on by allergy. So sometimes im having PVCs and shortness of breath along with an asthma attack,Geez, Now thats a trip!!!! ha ha ha .
All i can tell you is,Nothing ever stops the attacks completely,
But i hear all of us will probably be OK. Try not to worry to much, And remember YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!. And your not gonna die from these damn things.Although it sure feels that way sometimes.
SEE YA  jeff
SEE YA  jeff