Heart Disease Community
Pain on the left side of my chest.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Pain on the left side of my chest.

I'm 19 years old, and for a while now (I'd say almost a year) I've been getting these sharp pains on the left side of my chest. Strange thing is, the pain only comes when I wake up. Occasionally, it's the pain that wakes me up. The pain is not unbearable, but it's concerning, because its near my heart area. The pain switches position at times. sometimes its a little higher, sometimes its a little lower, but it's still located in on the left side of my chest. I figured at first it could have been a stomach ulcer, because I eat spicy foods like mad, But I don't think stomach pain can be as high up on my chest as that. sometimes it's about two inches below the top of my shoulder. I went to the doctors about 3 month's ago, and had them run a few tests and all of them came back perfectly fine. I don't know what it could possibly be through my own diagnosis, but when I wake up to that pain it scare's the heck out of me. I just had this pain a few minutes ago when I woke up, and noticed it felt sore on my sternum when I stretched my arms back far. This sternum pain doesn't always happen, but I have felt it more than once. Also, about once a month i get this very, very quick snapping pain in my left shoulder, that feels as though it shoots into my neck and arm. On a final note, I've never gotten this pain when I was actually awake. at least, not to my knowledge. Any one have an idea of what it could be?
Hi Anarky,

I'm 30 years old male, I have pain on the left side of my chest, sometimes it moves to my left arm, shoulder and neck, always on the left side.. I feel the pain on my neck only when i wake up, but for the rest of the day i still have the chest pain comes and goes. it increases when i take a deep breath.. i can't breath freely sometimes.. sometimes it feels like Asthma, but it's not. i thought there is something with my heart, cuz i have a very low heart pulse rate since i was a child, it's 33. normal peoples' heart rate is 60-90. so i went to the doctor, he's specialized in heart diseases, and he checked my blood pressure, which is perfect and normal. he told me that nothing wrong with my heart.. my brain and body got used to the low heart rate, but he asked for ECG. i did the ECG and he said that everything is okay, and that low heart rate isn't the reason. to be mentioned, i've started going to the gym recently before i had this pain and i've done some heavy chest exercises, like lifting heavy weights.. so the doctor told me that it might be the main chest's left muscle was affected by that and its gonna keep hurting for a while, like a month or two. it has been 10 days till now..