Heart Disease Community
Prominent veins/large purple spots under skin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

I'm becoming concerned about how physically ill I feel all the time.  To give you a quick rundown...a couple of years ago, I developed, what looked like spider veins on the inside of my ankles.  I also had a burning sensation on ocassion.  As time has gone on, the veins in the top of my feet and the front of my ankles are very prominent and blue and this has been moving up the front of my legs for some time.    My ankles also swell quite frequently (my doctor told me to get compression stockings).  Now I've noticed that behind my knees are large purple spots like the veins are leaking.  There has also been a burning feeling in this area as well.   To add to all this, I've had a burning uncomfortable feeling below my left shoulder blade.  And an aching pain in the front left of my chest (directly in front of the pain in my back).    My GP thinks that this is all related to Fibromyalgia, after many visits to a rheumatologist. he felt that if I had Fibro, and it was not that bad.  I'm really concerned because I am an on again, off again smoker (have been quitting and starting up many times over the years) and I sometimes wheeze and cough up phlegm.  I've had endoscopy due to severe heartburn, CT scans of my chest (although not in a year).  I'm on a prescription antacid for the heartburn, but no longer on anything for the Fibro (rheumatologist thinks I'm managing it fine on my own).  I cannot wear the correct size bra because of the feeling of restriction I have and the pain it causes over a days' time.  I have bouts where I'm short of breath (almost like a panic attack or a drowning feeling).  Very cold or hot (depending on the ambient temp of where I am) hands and feet.  It's almost like my body cannot regulate temperature very well.  Lately, I've had painful, little sores appear on my chest, arm and leg as well as at the corners of my mouth and my eyes.  It seems to take forever for them to heal.   When one goes away, another appears.  I'm really concerned about how badly I feel.  My doctor tells me to excercise to lose weight, but I can't because of the pain I get in my chest and my back in the beginning of the walk/workout.  I've also had blood in my urine for the past 4 years and have seen a Urologist and had tests done.  He thinks that I have interstitial cystitus.

As I tend to be pretty passive about most things, so I'm concerned that I am not being articulate or firm enough when explaining what is going on to my doctor.  He always seems to kind of sweep my concerns away.  I have not seen him in about 4 months, so he does not know about how much worse the veins have become and my shortness of breath.  

As a sidebar, it was mentioned to me one time while I was in the ER for vertigo, that my oxygen levels seemed to be low.  When my GP checked me they were fine.  I've also noticed that my blood pressure seems to fluctuate quite a bit.  I've always had low blood pressure and now it is closer to 120/80 (not sure about the 80, but somewhere around there).  

What more should I do to convince my doctor about my concerns?  Does it sound like there is something to be concerned about?  Sometimes I think he is convinced that I'm a hypochondriac.  God, I hope not.  Sometimes I second guess myself, but then I go through a "spell" and the pain and I'm convinced there is something wrong.  I need someone's advice here...help please...