Heart Disease Community
SVT Heart Condition

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

SVT Heart Condition

My son is 18 went to the cardiology and he is having this symptoms for years, they had done a sonogram and they told him that he is fine, he told my son that this heart condition is very common in men.
Every time he have the symptoms I take him to the hospital but between going and there and wait the symptoms stops so they can't do anything about it.
The Cardiology told my son that this condition is not a life threatening but is very uncomfortable and they have many types of SVT and they need to find out which one to treat it, they gave him meds but I really want to do the procedure so he doesn't have to deal with that every day.

Don't know what to do about when he has the symptoms to catch it on time but it does not last long, I am been spending money going to the hospital for nothing and urgent care but the symptoms stop when we arrive or it takes so long to have him in that the symptoms stops...

The cardiology stated that is nothing to worry about and that makes me and him be in peace, but I still worry just a little.

Please advice

Thank you so much to anyone they can answer my question

This discussion is related to Can SVT cause Heart Failure?.
I've had PSVT, a form of SVT, all my life and I'm 58 now. It is annoying, uncomfortable and can slow you down a bit. First of all it would be helpful if they found out what type of SVT he has. Has he worn a heart monitor for any length of time? There are event monitors that can be worn for a month. That way when the occasional SVT happens, he can push a button and record the event. The cardiologist can then look at the recording and have a good idea of what's going on inside the heart.

Most cardiologists like to try medication first to see if it helps the SVT. On the other hand, if the SVT can be cured with an ablation, then your son would be free from taking the meds for the rest of his life. But first they need to find out exactly what type of arrhythmia he has.

How often does this happen and how long does it last?  One thing that helped me over the years is the valsalva maneuver. I take a breath and hold it, then bear down as though I'm going to the bathroom. I do that for about 10 seconds then slowly release my breath. Most of the time my heart will flip flop around during the maneuver, then kick back to a normal rhythm. There are times when I've had to repeat the maneuver another time or two. It sure saves you from taking those trips to the hospital. Mostly it's best if it's done in the first few minutes of an SVT episode. I hope that helps him.