Heart Disease Community
SVT and food allergies

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

SVT and food allergies

Hi There Everyone:
I am so glad I have found this site. It has been very helpful so far, especially regarding EP testing and the Macrobiotic Diet. Thank you to all!!
Two years ago, I took a strong Sudafed tablet for a very sore throat. I had two cups of caffeinated tea also. About 4 hours later I was in the ER. It took 4 hours (I would go to normal then into SVT again) to decrease to normal, my blood pressure of 210/110 and pulse of 220. Since that time,  I have found I am sensitive to caffeine, soy sauce, MSG, many other preservatives (both in medicine (eg. eye drops) and food), and alcohol. The diagnosis is SVT. In the last 2 years I have had 6 episodes of SVT
I live in country Australia. The food labeling does not include preservatives added. The nearest Cardiologist is 2 hours away. I don't have abnormal thyroid, no GERD. All labs are fine. I take Lopressor 25mg daily for moderately high blood pressure.
My question is:  Is my next step an EP study?

This discussion is related to SVT? Pac's Pvc's.
Tags: svt
I have recently been diagnosed with SVT and have had 2 episodes since then. you never mentioned anything about taking medication for your SVT, if I am reading correctly you only take it for high BP.
I take Digoxin daily and metoprolol (50mg) per day and if I start to have the signs of SVT I take an "quick release" of the metoprolol 100mg and that usually takes about 1 hour to work. when I did have SVT my blood pressure did start to go high and my cardiologist said it was because my heart was working hard for a while. now my BP usually is 85-90/55/60 but when it happens it was over 130/90 sometimes my HR will drop into the high 40's and I can feel the palpatations then too when my HR starts to go up into the 60 b9hat is when I walk around. I have had my levels all checked (digoxin levels and they are fine when I am not in it I start to go into SVT (they took me off of it in case that was causing my HR to drop and it wasn't.) my next step is to follow up with the cardiologist and possible have a cardiac ablation. not too sure if that is going to happen this will hopefully prevent me from having SVT's and hopefully keep my HR up.
With my youngest son I usually have to travel 1 1/2 -2 hours away to see his cardiologist and all of his specialist so I understand about traveling.
Have you put a call into your cardilogist and tell him about your sensitivity? it might not have anything to do with your SVT's
good luck
michelle