Heart Disease Expert Forum
Saline Implants and Test Results

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Saline Implants and Test Results

Recently, I had three episodes of chest pain within a two day period that went away after resting.  I am 62; with  total cholesterol of 216; triglycerides at 97; HDL at 66; and LDL at 131. My untreated blood pressure in doctor's office is 150/86; weight at 190; height 5 feet 3.  I am a breast cancer survivor with saline implants, presently taking no medications. My ECG was atypical at V2 point. Could saline implants cause an irregularity in the lead placements and the results of ECG?  
At home, my blood pressure runs about 130/80. Which is my true blood pressure? The physician scheduled a nuclear stress test and wrote prescription for Atacand (AstraZeneca) 16mg. Could Atacand 16mg be too aggressive? Can you get accurate results in nuclear stress test if you have saline implants? Will the radiation damage the implants? Would I be better advised to have an echo cardiogram or different testing?  I have started a D.A.S.H. diet.  Please advise me.

Esperance
Esperance,

Thanks for the post.

1) Could saline implants cause an irregularity in the lead placements and the results of ECG?

the may cause minor variations in the single lead that may be higher ot more of a latereral or medial point than before the implants.  Im not sure what you mean by atypical th V2 point, but that would be a lead that would be in the breast region.

Which is my true blood pressure?

Both are your true pressure. Blood pressure is dynamic and changes continuously. the pressure you read is only a representation of that moment in time. This is why people with what is deemed 'white coat' hypertension often have high blood pressures at other times in the day.

3) Could Atacand 16mg be too aggressive?

Not if it works. Some people require small doses some large doses, some more than one medicine.  I would continue your home monitoring to see how effective it is.

4) Can you get accurate results in nuclear stress test if you have saline implants?

generally yes. Very sizeable implants may interfere to some extent, but the intereference can usually be interpreted by an experienced nuclear cardiologist.

5) Will the radiation damage the implants?

Radiation can cause alot of problems with chest tissues and even the organs in the chest. It probably wont have too much effect on the implants themselves, but the local tissues may have some scarring over time.

6) Would I be better advised to have an echo cardiogram or different testing?

Both modalities are generally equivalent. there are some factors that can make a physician lean one way or another. Generally, a cardiology group will do one type of test more than others. I think that the test they perform most often and are most experienced in interpreting should be the route of testing you should take.

good luck

A related discussion, Saline breast I,plants was started.
A related discussion, Sharp pain, discomfort and burning in the chest was started.