Heart Disease Expert Forum
Severe Knee pain and heart patient

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Severe Knee pain and heart patient

Am 68 and have suffered a heart attack and currently have two stents for blocked artries.  Currently am suffering from severe knee pain.  My surgeon does not find it appropriate to suggest painkillers or surgery due to their side effects.  

What do others in the same condition as me suggest.  Looking forward for your response.

Tags: Heart patient and Knee pain
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello Abdul284

It is hard to give you an accurate assessment of the situation but generally speaking all coronary artery stents require uninterrupted use of aspirin and clopidogrel (ticagrelor or prasugrel may be alternative medications utilized). The duration of this therapy varies depending on stent type.
However, it is not advisable to stop this therapy before the stipulated time for the particular stent type is over as there is a high probability of clot formation inside the stent and occurrence of another heart attack.
If you do require a surgery which is urgent and imminent, admission to the hospital and conversion of these medications to intravenous formulation is required. That being said, the risk for bleeding in the postoperative period is elevated regardless.
Given these considerations, most surgeons would like to defer the surgery for about one year after stent implantation.
I am not sure what your entire medical history is, but there are several pain killers which are safe from renal and cardiac standpoint and may be utilized for pain control.

Hope that his helpful.
Thank you for your reply, what are pain killers that are recommended generally in such a situation e.g. Heart disease and severe pain.

Thank you
Abdul
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I would recommend first trying tylenol or acetaminophen, which is safest from the standpoint of heart and the kidneys.
If this fails to work, try discussing with your primary care doctor to explore more safe options.