Heart Disease Community
Severe soreness in left side of chest

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Severe soreness in left side of chest

Last night my heart kept going from beating very, very weakly to suddenly pounding with extreme force. Now the left side of my chest is so horribly sore. When I touch it it hurts so badly I almost scream. The soreness is specifically concentrated in the upper-left quadrant of my left pectoral, radiating into the armpit and down my left arm.

At one point when I breathed hard last night there was a sudden, unexpected RIPPING sensation in my heart. My left shoulderblade was also in pain last night, which has subsided somewhat today. I went to a cardiologist a few months ago and had a 24-hour EKG. I also went to the ER three weeks ago and had another few-minute EKG.

I went to the ER a second time last week and had a chest X-ray. No problems found. For weeks I have been too terrified of not waking up to go to sleep for more than a handful of hours at a time. My chest just hurts so bad and it can't be exercise soreness because there is NO pain in the other side of my chest and I also barely exercise anymore because I am too afraid of having a heart attack.

Nobody takes me seriously, dismissing it all as "anxiety," and I want to kill those smug jerks for their mindless dismissals.

It is Saturday and I feel like my mind is about to fracture at the thought of waiting a minimum of 36 more hours JUST to arrange another appointment, and then probably days more after that just to see someone. I want to be in the hospital so badly because if I die in the hospital they can rescucitate me but I can't quite bring myself to hit the ER a THIRD time.

My heart is constantly alternating between pounding so hard against my chest for a few hours and then beating so weakly I can't even feel it for a few hours after that. Especially as I'm falling asleep I feel it pound so very very hard. I'm eighteen and I don't want to die!!! I used to exercise so much but this past month I have barely even MOVED for the terror of dying and I'm getting fat and flabby and disgusting as a result.