Heart Disease Expert Forum
Slightly Enlarged Aortic Root

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Slightly Enlarged Aortic Root
An echocardiogram revealed that I have a slightly enlarged Aortic root. The doctor said it is "4.2"cm in size. What does this mean? Are there symptoms associated with this? At what rate will it grow? Does it ever get smaller? How? What are my options? Where can I get more information? I am a 42 year old male in good health and have no symptoms that I know of.  Is this related to pulmonary sarcoidosis? Thanks for the help.

Chris Daniels
1762 Whitehaven RD.
PO Box 1212
Grand Island, NY
14072
716 773-6983 Home
716 278-5233 Work

The aortic root is the portion of the aorta just above the heart.  It is normally 2-3 cm.  Surgery is usually considered at about 5cm but possibly before if it is enlarging.  The only way to know if it is enlarging is to follow with serial echos usually 6 mo to a year apart.  There are no associated symptoms and it is not related to pulmonary sarcoidosis.  Where is Grand Island NY?
The way I understand is that aorta can be measured in various places along its course like at leaflet level and above. What I don't understand is where would aortic root be(located),at leaflets level at aortic arch..where?Are the normal limits(2.0-3.7cm) the same for aorta(at leaflets), aortic root, ascending and descending aorta?If not what would the normal limits be in an middle age male adult?Thank you.Ed
You are correct that measurements are made at at different locations.  There is some variability but most lay within 2 - 3.7 cm in diameter.
Where would aortic root be (located), at leaflet level.. aortic arch...where?You said aortic root is normally 2-3cm.What about if there is a change (up) in aorta and aortic root size from 2.9cm to 3.3cm in a year time,would the increase of .4cm in a year be normal or significant enlargement?Thank you.Ed
If aortic root enlargement or dialation is caused by infections.....can aorta or aortic root infections be seen on an echo.....if not on what tests can it be seen ekg,mri.....how can it be known if aortic root is enlarging because of infections,high blood pressure,heart disease etc.Thank you.Geo
Infections usually cannot be visualized on echo and require blood cultures to detect.

Thank you for your responses.  My first echo was done in March 1999 because I was having slight interment dull pain and discomfort in my chest. (the conclusion seems to be that the chest discomfort is of a muscular / skelton nature???) That report said the size was 4.1. The doctor who issued the report never called me to say that this could be a problem.

A follow up echo in October of 1999, with a different doctor showed the the size to be 4.3. He recommends that I have a scan of the chest, which I will be having. He says that this will serve as a base line. He also says that the scan is more accurate that the echo.

The whole thing makes me nervous. Especially when you look up these things on the internet and all I can find is Marfan Syndrome. Could this be Marfan Syndrome?

If I never had any discomfort in my chest, I would have never know about this slightly enlarged aortic root condition. How would I ever have of found out about it? How fast does the aortic root grow?  If it became a problem, would it just burst and I would die? Are there any early warning signs before it bursts?

If  I do have to have surgery, what does it consist of and what are the chances of survival and leading a normal life?

I have attached the echo reports for your review. Thanks for the help.

Who ever was interested in Grand Island
A related discussion, AORTIC ROOT was started.
A related discussion, dilated aorta was started.
A related discussion, na was started.
A related discussion, aortic root enlargement was started.
A related discussion, enlarged aorta was started.
A related discussion, mildly dilated aortic root was started.
A related discussion, Mitral Valve was started.
A related discussion, how serious is an enlarged aortic root valve? was started.
A related discussion, atrial root was started.