Heart Disease Expert Forum
Small Artery Disease

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Small Artery Disease

6 mos ago had  a quadruple bypass.  Prior to that it all started with a totally occluded RCA (that the MD says he wish he never reopened b/c it was more trouble than it was worth) and in the mos that ensued rapid disease progression was detected in other arteries.  Then the bypasses and until recently all good until chest pressure and jaw pain.  A recent angiogram showed no new progression and that is great
Autino,

Thanks for the post.

The posterior descending (PDA) is usually a branch of the RCA, so it may be bypassed. Sometimes, the PDA orginates from the circumflex though so I cant be 100% sure. The 2nd marginal and PLCx are branches of the circumflex and must have been small, so they were not.

The most important thing for small artery disease is very aggressive control of
cardiac risk factors such as diabetes, lipids, hypertension and smoking.  With continued symptoms there are other drugs and therapies such as ranexa and eecp that are not as proven.

good luck

I've been diagnosed w/ probably small artery disease as well, and had continuing chest pressure and numbness in my left arm.  They put me on a drug called Ranexa (mentioned by the doc in his reply to you), and it seems to help somewhat.  Still have some pressure, but not nearly as often.  I'm actually feeling pretty "normal" for the first time in almost 1 1/2 years.  Good luck to you!
A related discussion, what is small artery disease? was started.
A related discussion, Small Artery Disease was started.