Heart Disease Expert Forum
Stenosis of left vertebral artery

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Stenosis of left vertebral artery

I am a very small 54-year old female with a history of two heart surgeries.  The last was a AVR/aneurysm repair back in 1999.  Four years ago a CT scan showed an aneurysm of the ascending aorta (4.4 cm) plus aneurysms in the origins of the brachiocephalic, left common cartoid, and left subclavian arteries.

This year the report noted for the first time that there is "high-grade stenosis of the left vertebral artery without change."  I will see my cardiologist in July but am wondering what this is (I know stenosis means narrowing) and if it is something that may have to be addressed.  Is surgery indicated for this type of condition?

Thanks in advance for any information.  
Abnormalities of the aorta and vessels that supply blood to the brain may need to be intervened upon, especially if there are symptoms involved. Other indications for either percutaneous or surgical repair/replacement include absolute size, rate of increasing size, co-morbid conditions (i.e aortic stenosis) or if you are already undergoing open heart surgery for other reasons (i.e. repair of other valves). Because you have a known dilation of your aorta, this should already be followed on a regular basis by your cardiologist.
I forgot to mention that the report says my aortic arch is also aneurysmal. Could this have anything to do with the left vertebral artery being narrowed?

Thanks again for any information.