Heart Disease Community
Sternum Mess

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Sternum Mess

I had successfull double bypass July 4th 2010.  Felt WONDERFUL.  I slipped and fell, caught myself and hung by my left arm until I could get my feet back under me.  PULLED my sternum badly.  Since then my sternum has collapsed inward about 1 inch.  I have chest pain or what I call sternum pain all the time.  It can and has caused the same symptoms of a heart attack; severe pain, feels like a weight is on my chest, someone is choking me from the inside, short of breath.  All tests; x-ray, ct scan, mri, etc., have came back "normal".  I have a bone scan scheduled tomorrow.  I NEED HELP!
Obviously the fall is the underlying cause for the pain and negative sternum reconfiguration, and it is so unfortunate after having successful CABG to have that problem. It almost has to be a pulled chest muscle, It sounds as if you may have a degree of sternal non-union, the fall may have interrupted complete healing.

Thanks for sharing, and I wish you well going forward.  Take care,

Ken
I had CABG x 3 in April 2012. Since I have had clicking in my sternum and feel movement in the sternum especially at night. I had a CT scan and it showed good approximationof the sternum bui the surgeon can feel a little movemnt in the sternum and has advised me it wil lprobably heal with time. I am about ready for a follow up visit. Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen and what was the outcome. i hate to be sittinghere and not working and still have to have surgery to repair this when I could have had the surgery and been back to work already. I am only 56 years old.
Clickster, Please request a CT scan! My mother had a Quadruple bypass in 2009. She always made the comment that it did not heal right and at times it seemed to move. When she was released in May 2009 they did a CT scan and again on 7/31/09. The findings showed a mild erosion of the inferior sternum which is constant with sternal infection. On the medical records they stated that the sternal infection was worse in the inferior aspect with bony erosion as well as stranding and phlegm on tracking along the sternum. So they sent her in on 8/14/09 to do a small excision and drain. According to the records cultures were taken, but that was it - or so we thought. Since then she has had a knot that over the years has enlarged. Finally it started draining. My mother has no insurance and is only 62, so I finally convinced her to go to the ER. To make this nightmare story short, they went in again to do a small excision and drain. It only took about an hour, however this was no small excision. The CT scan done on 11/7/12 revealed that she has had an infection in her sternum since 2009. Now she has a hole in her chest that measures 6.5 cm long, 3 cm wide, and 5.5 cm deep! and that is today's measurements. They sent her home due to no insurance and I am trying to learn as much as I can about it since I am the one who has to clean the wound and empty the wound vac that a company decided to donate.

So, if I were you - get a CT scan!

If anyone else has any suggestions on what I can do or any help that I can get for my mother, I would greatly appreciate it!