Heart Disease Expert Forum
TIAs:lingering symptoms

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

TIAs:lingering symptoms

My questions are about TIAs. Will a patient experience lingering symptoms like tingling of the lips and trouble speaking after a TIA episode? Could these symptoms be a reaction to new medications?

My 84 year old aunt had a TIA attack last week. She recovered fine, but is experiencing tingling of the lips and says it's a struggle to talk this week.  She says it feels as if her tongue is restricted.  Her Internist says nothing is wrong and it may be a reaction to the new medications.  Medications are Plavix: 75 mg. daily, Metroprolol 25 mg 2 times a day, Cozaar 50 mg daily and Ecotrin 325 mg daily. She takes Premarin for osteoporosis.

In view of your aunts recent symptoms, this is potentially a TIA or residual effects of her "event" last week.  This may represent a TIA or stroke and should be followed up.  It is less likely to be her medication in view of her recent history of TIA.
Question

Can you tell me if I have a systolic murmur breathlessness on climbing stairs, and doing light house work.I have pain down the left side of my body. I am taking electric shock dizzy turns going through my body. I went to a doctor the other day for a skin and hair problem. He took a sample of my hair to anylise. He said that the hair bulbs from the inside of my scalp were frazzeled is this all connected to my heart. I had a echo this was clear. But I was taken off the treadmill aty 3mins and 33secs due to a very fast heart rate pains in my legs and short of breath. Is this a heart condition that anyone can relate to. These syptoms (symptoms) are very scary.
Heather
I belive that Plavix has been recalled.  Anyone taking the drug should be careful.  I had a reaction to it and stopped taking it. You might want to talk to your Pharmacist.
I had a mitral valve replacement (St. Jude's)  Nov. 7, 1997. After an episode of pericarditis, I have done very well heartwise.  I returned to work teaching 3rd grade, but I have had one TIA and one stroke.  I am also in atrial fibrillation. I'm having trouble with my coumadin levels when it drops below 2.2 is when I have an incident.  And why it drops is a puzzle.  I have it tested every two weeks.  I take 4mg each day.  My doctors, heart and internist, want to put me on Plavix.  My neurologist says a baby asprin.  What to do?  Plavix is a relatively new drug.  Does it have any severe side effects especially with the bone marrow.  I am 58 years old.  
Looking forward to hearing from with any info you have...greatful this service is available.  What a time we live in!
Thanks,
Judy