TRICUSPID "RIP"
MY NEWBORN SON HAD THE YASUI PROCEDURE PERFORMED. DURING THE PROCEDURE A SCRUB TECH ACCIDENTLY RIPPED HIS TRICUSPID VALVE. THE SURGEON CLAIMS HE FIXED IT, BUT THE YASI TURNED INTO I BELIEVE A NORWOOD. HE WAS ALSO BORN WITH ALL FOUR FUNCTIONING CHAMBERS, NOW HE ONLY HAS THREE THAT WORK. WILL HE NEED A PACEMAKER? HOW SERIOUS WAS THIS RIP, CAN HE SURVIVE, WOULD IT DAMAGE ANYTHING ELSE AND WHY DOES HE NOW NEED A PROCEDURE AT SIX MONTHS THAT HE WOULDNT HAVE NEEDED IF THE TRICUSPIS WASNT RIPPED?
I think you really need to speak with your cardiologist or senior cardiac nurse to explain in detail what has been done to your Sons heart. From what you say, he had 4 functioning chambers, but the Norwood procedure seems to contradict this to some extent. The Norwood procedure is performed when one of the large chambers (ventricles) is not working well enough or is not sufficiently formed. It would seem that your Son has had the major arteries reconnected to different locations so that ONE ventricle can do the work for now. However, this is fine up until about the age of 6 I believe, and then a two part surgery is required called the Fontan Procedure. This again changes the layout of the arteries because the blood pressure in the lungs is now low enough at that age. It allows for a normal body development and growth. In some children it presents a much better quality of life, near enough normal, but as in all complications, some children aren't so lucky and end up on a transplant list. This is what I can gather from your post and this is why I think it very important you speak to your Doctor. You need to understand what is going on. The tear in the valve would have been repaired as stated by the surgeon, and would have not had any impact on the decision for a norwood procedure. A repaired tear will continue to work just fine.