Heart Disease Expert Forum
Very high standing blood pressure

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Very high standing blood pressure

I read it somewhere that the standing bp should be lower than sitting or lying bp. In my case it turned out to be opposite.
Here are some readings from last couple of days:

Sitting
Left Arm Average -> 114/72
Right Arm Average -> 119/73

Lying
Left Arm Average -> 115/72
Right Arm Average -> 119/80

Standing
Left Arm Average -> 135/88
Right Arm Average -> 150/100

What's wrong here? I am not sure the digital monitor I use it at home is supposed to measure the right arm and standing bp or not. It is Omron HEM-703CP. Does anybody know about this monitor?
What should I do? I guess I can't live all my life sitting or lying, can I?

Also why there's huge difference in right arm and left arm bps?

Jerry
Other than the last blood pressure you list, all others are normal. It is not necessarily the case that your blood pressure should be lower when you stand.  A difference in blood pressures betweeen arms can indicate certain diseases, but I do not see a significant difference between arms in the measurements that you list. There can be a significant amount of variation between blood pressure form minute to minute - this is not abnormal.
What are your arms position supposed to be while taking bp standing? You let it drop to your knees or rest it on some support like seating? Thanks.
Than you for your commets. I don't think I have so wide fluctuation in my bp, at least no while I am seating. Should I worry about the bp taken while standing? Does it represnt any abnormalaties?

Jerry
The arms should be relaxed and supported by the person taking the measurement.
What types of diseases are associated with different readings depending upon which arm is used? My son's left arm usually reads quite a bit higher than the right, but no docs have ever mentioned that as being a factor.
In a young person, different congenital disorders, such as a severe narrowing of the aorta, can lead to significantly different and elevated blood pressure in the arms.
Can you name any others? Coarctation has apparently been ruled out via numerous echos. Thanks!
My son is 16 and very sport orianted. Itook his bp and it ranges between 150/88 and 158/90. I feel this is to high for him. Should i be conserned? And how do i take steps to get it down? His pulse run 60-64 is this good?
My lying BP is wnl   136/84
on standing, my BP will jump to 168/105

This is ongoing
Should I be concerned about anything in particular?
why does the both the systolic and diastolic blood pressure decrease when the arm is raised?
A related discussion, Blood pressure higher when standing was started.
A related discussion, Increase in Staning Blood Pressure was started.