WHY does metoprolol need to be taken for life post CABG?
WHY does metoprolol need to be taken for life post CABG?  My father had a septuple bypass surgery in Jan 2008.  Prior, he only had flu-like symptoms, no other obvious symptoms leading to a surgery such as this, no issues with HBP, and now his cardiologist tells him that he needs to take for life without a reasonable explanation.  The body has an unbelievable and miraculous healing ability all its own.  Shouldn't his body have the ability to recover on its own post surgery and rehabilitation/medicine therapy?  He is an energetic 66yr old man.  The hospital was ready to release him 2 days after surgery (shocking!).  He was back to 'normal' 6 weeks later.  I don't understand nor does he as to why he needs this medication to help him keep his blood pressure under control when it was never an issue in the first place.  And it was only used to rehabilitate him back to health.

He is interested in being weened off this medication and all other sources say to stay on this for life.  Its a hard answer to accept, especially when the doctors can give no physiological explanation as to why.  Is this drug keeping him alive?  Or just guarding his blood pressure?  Is it providing him with the sustenance to keep the heart beating (seems doubtful)?  Are there any cases or studies that we can research regarding coming off of this medicine?  Now there is a he has a slight fear that he has to be dependant on this drug.  

Any information or advice is greatly appreciated!

AcuK

This discussion is related to Medicine after CABG.
Out of the same curiosity I too would like to know.  In the mean time, "I believe" metropolol limits the adrenalin that gets to your heart.  With the economy today there's many times I get quite steamed and am glad my heart is beating away like nothing is wrong, other wise, I'm sure my heart would have exploded long ago.