What does Pro-BNP bloodtest mean?
I am 7 weeks post-op after OHS to repair mitral valve.

For the past 7 weeks I have a resting HR of 120+ and low BP (today it was 87/55).  At Cardio's appointment Cardio noted this (I thought it is normal post-op to have such a fast HR) and prescribed LANOXIN.  I have been using it for almost 2 weeks now and still no improvement in HR and BP.

GP did bloodtests and these are the results:

TSH:  normal
CRP:  normal range
Full blood count:  normal range

Pro-BNP:  218.

Can anyone tell me what is this Pro-BNP test and if 218 is high?  GP is conserned and whant to send me back to Hospital and I don't want to go, unless there is something wrong.

Current symptoms:  still have pains (both breasts and middle/sternum area) dizzy, irregular heartbeat (at times 30 miss beats/extra systoles per minute), palpitations when I climb steps/urinate (had these symptoms pre-op), fast HR low BP.

Please help.  I am going nuts here.
bumb
BNP is a peptide released when the heart wall is stretched.  It is used to diagnose heart failure.

The "normal" values for BNP vary from lab to lab and with patient's age.  The fact that your doc is concerned and considering hospitilization would indicate these values are abnormal for you.