Heart Disease Expert Forum
When is it safe to take stress test ?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

When is it safe to take stress test ?

Social Security said they would'nt pay for the stress test
cause they had too many people die from it. And I've had alot of friends tell me not to cause it was'nt safe. How soon after heart attack/100% blockage & stint R.C.A would it be safe.
How much does it cost? Is it painful and what all is involved?
Is there dye?  And what does this test actually prove.
Would the Holter monitor test tell the same thing. I'm at the law judge stage of my S.S.case and need some evendence as to how much damage my heart has. Tried going back to work 4 months after heart attack and got pericarditis bad for 3 months and the only thing that helped was steriods. Age 44 and still have chest pains often, nitro seems to relieve it well. Has anybody out there been able to get Social Security at such a young age for a bad heart? I was making 14HR. driving truck/loader/crusher operator. Do you think bouncing up & down in the loader caused the pericarditis. I stress out easy and am taking high BP medicine. Do I need to take something for hypertension or is it the same thing? Should I find a nice 5 HR. job flipping burgers for the rest of my life or hold out for SSI/SSDI.
impotant1,

Sorry to hear of your troubles.  If you are only 4 months out from a heart attack and are again having chest pain. You need to be evaluated by a cardiologist prior to any further testing.

From reading your story, I sense that you may have conflicting motives.  On the one hand, you want to feel better.  On the other hand, you are applying for disability.  These two goals can often not be achieved at the same time.  I would recommend that you see a cardiologist to determine the cause of your chest pain.  He/She may or may not want you to undergo a stress test or cardiac cath depending on your symptoms and previous testing.

Stress tests cost in the neighborhood of $1,000.  A low level stress trest is frequently ordered for some heart attack patients 5-10 days after their heart attack.  Alternatively, some doctors order symptom-limited stress tests at 4-6 week after a heart attack.  Neither one of these may be necessary if you've had a recent cath.

Answers to the remainder of your questions: I do not think that bouncing up and down caused the pericarditis.  Hypertension is another word for "high blood pressure".  I would try to work in whatever job you find enjoyable and fulfilling.  Committing yourself to disability after only 4 months of recovery is a rash decision.

Good luck.
Can a C/t with non-ionic contrast be harmful when it sends the MVP patients young heart racing with pvc's,pac's upon iv injection ?
Hospitals updated from ionic to now non-ionic coated But the reaction was with the new. The oral contrast of Barrium was no problem. The tech said this is not uncommon if the patients heart is nervous upon insertion.
I don't think that you will score SS disability for a stented RCA blockage, but if you do let me know.  I've been walking around with an uncorrected 100% occlusion of the RCA for years - Tried to have it fixed with angioplasty a couple of times, but finally gave up on it.  It's built a pretty good bypass on it's own over the years.  I also got a nasty ruptured plaque in the left main that the doctor said will drop me before I can dial 911 one of these days (not that I would anyway), but I am still going to work every day.  Unfortunately, I wasn't smart with my money when I was young.

I would like to get on the dole also, but would probably have to quit climbing mountains before they would take me seriously:)

Yeh equipment operator jobs probably are not good for someone with heart disease.  It's probably not the bouncing, but the physical inactivity and perhaps stress.  In a former life, I used to drive diesel trams in an undergound mine.  Not only did I sit on my *** most of the day just scooping up muck and loading it in an ore car, I was breathing all of the diesel smoke and smoking a pack of cigarettes besides.  Now that can't be good for you:)

I would suggest daily walking before work and perhaps on your breaks or at lunch.  I walk a couple of miles in the morning and before I eat at lunch.  It burns up the sugar, caffiene, and other poisons in my system and also gets out the stress.  Also drink lots of water.  It's important to put those cells to work doing what they are meant to do.

It also pays to get real healthy.  Over a period of time eating good and physical exercise pays off.  I haven't even had a cold for at least 2 years.  Except for a couple of nasty artifacts in my coronary arteries I'm 100% healthy.  It think that's whats keeping me alive and feeling good even as the cardiologists are betting against me.  It's hard to have a heart attack when the rest of your system is just too damn healthy.

Good Luck.