Heart Disease Expert Forum
beta blockers and interactions

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

beta blockers and interactions
I am confused by info I've read and heard about beta blockers. Is it ok to drink with them ( like a glass of wine once in a while?)  What about other drug interactions -- like antibiotics, are they ok? What about a small dose of xanax ?

I rarely take any drugs at all or drink but if it comes up I'd like to be clear on this..

by the way, I have takend ibuprofen a couple of times while on a small dose of beta blockers that I've been on for the past 3 weeks  (which seems to be making me exhausted.. hoping it will wear off) -- and when I do I seem to have awful palps in a few hours, despite the beta blockers. any connection?

Thanks again for this wonderful service!

Lynn
Lynn,

Thanks for the post.

An occasional glass of wine, properly prescribed antibiotics, and xanax should not illicit adverse reactions in the vast majority of patients.  There always exist some patients who defy the "rules", but I do not dissuade patients from taking the these other things when I prescribe beta-blockers.

I am unaware of a connection between palpitations and beta-blocker/ibuprofen therapy.  That doesn't mean it couldn't exist.

Hope that helps.

Beta blockers and alcohol are ok if you keep the alcohol limited to 1-2 drinks per day. I would stay away from Xanax and alcohol. That could slow respirations down while you are seeping.