Heart Disease Expert Forum
carotid artery disease

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

carotid artery disease

When I am stuck in traffic or subject to similar frustrations, I often feel a tightening in my neck, in the region of my carotid arteries.  Could this be the arteries themselves, or is it more likely a muscular sensation?  If it is the arteries, is it an increase in blood pressure that I feel?  This is not a new experience for me; it's been that way as long as I can recall.

Is this kind of stress physically harmful?  Can such stress induce a TIA or stroke?  The feeling usually subsides within a few minutes, but sometimes it may take a half hour or so, following a really exasperating situation.

I have been diagnosed with moderate stenosis of my external carotid arteries.  What is the typical prognosis and treatment for this condition?

I have recently experienced one or two very mild TIAs, but my cardiologist attributes them to a severely regurgitant mitral valve.  I
It is probably not the carotid arteries causing the pain - more likely muscular.  These can progress and steps such as diet and exercise should be taken.  If you are having valve surgery here we will evaluate the carotids pre-op to ensure no intervention needs to be taken prior to surgery.
Under right and left internal carotid artery -B-mode spectral analysis say "a diameter of reduction of 0-19%". Also there is a word tortous under the right internal carotid artery. Under right and left vertebral arteries says a "patient c artegrach". There is a dash over the letter c. What does "patient c artegrach" under vertebral arteries means? Although "a diameter of reduction of 0-19%" is in internal carotid arteries,what does a word "tortous" under right internal cartoid artery means?Are blockages of vertebral(does not say in %) arteries just as bad as carotid arteries?Thank you.Don
Hi Don,  You need to discuss the results with the doctor who ordered the test.
What does a dash over a letter c mean when written by doctors?Does it mean "with" or "without"?Thank you. Ed
With from the Latin con.
A related discussion, Carotid was started.