Heart Disease Expert Forum
carotid artery disease
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
carotid artery disease
ed
When I am stuck in traffic or subject to similar frustrations, I often feel a tightening in my neck, in the region of my carotid arteries.  Could this be the arteries themselves, or is it more likely a muscular sensation?  If it is the arteries, is it an increase in blood pressure that I feel?  This is not a new experience for me; it's been that way as long as I can recall.

Is this kind of stress physically harmful?  Can such stress induce a TIA or stroke?  The feeling usually subsides within a few minutes, but sometimes it may take a half hour or so, following a really exasperating situation.

I have been diagnosed with moderate stenosis of my external carotid arteries.  What is the typical prognosis and treatment for this condition?

I have recently experienced one or two very mild TIAs, but my cardiologist attributes them to a severely regurgitant mitral valve.  I
Discussion is closed
Cancel
7 Answers
Page 1 of 1
238668 tn?1232735930
It is probably not the carotid arteries causing the pain - more likely muscular.  These can progress and steps such as diet and exercise should be taken.  If you are having valve surgery here we will evaluate the carotids pre-op to ensure no intervention needs to be taken prior to surgery.
Discussion is closed
Cancel
Comment
don
Under right and left internal carotid artery -B-mode spectral analysis say "a diameter of reduction of 0-19%". Also there is a word tortous under the right internal carotid artery. Under right and left vertebral arteries says a "patient c artegrach". There is a dash over the letter c. What does "patient c artegrach" under vertebral arteries means? Although "a diameter of reduction of 0-19%" is in internal carotid arteries,what does a word "tortous" under right internal cartoid artery means?Are blockages of vertebral(does not say in %) arteries just as bad as carotid arteries?Thank you.Don
Discussion is closed
Cancel
Comment
238668 tn?1232735930
Hi Don,  You need to discuss the results with the doctor who ordered the test.
Discussion is closed
Cancel
Comment
ed
What does a dash over a letter c mean when written by doctors?Does it mean "with" or "without"?Thank you. Ed
Discussion is closed
Cancel
Comment
ed
What does a dash over a letter c mean when written by doctors?Does it mean "with" or "without"?Thank you. Ed
Discussion is closed
Cancel
Comment
238668 tn?1232735930
With from the Latin con.
Discussion is closed
Cancel
Comment
A related discussion, Carotid was started.
Discussion is closed
Cancel
Comment
A
A
Blank
Request an Appointment
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now