Heart Disease Expert Forum
chest discomfort and stomach pains

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

chest discomfort and stomach pains

I have been having chest problems now for 5 months. I have been having sympoms of a very tight chest and getting sharp pains in the center of my chest on and off. I always have a tightness below my ribs at the begining of my stomach.

I have had an EKG, Strees test and 24hr BP monitor and chest xray all showing normal and the doc thinks we can rule out the heart and is now going down the route of GERD.

Is it safe to rule out the heart as I stll get pains and this above all worries me. I am 32 3 months without smoking and a little over weight.

Thanks you for your input.
jono,

Thanks for the post.

At age 32, unless you have a strong family history it is very unlikely to be your heart causing these symptoms.  Additionally, with that work up, the chances are exceedingly small.  I would follow your doctors advice and look elsewhere. Also, losing weight will impact your overall future risk and if you are overweight could be contributing to GERD.

good luck
sounds like angina to me believe me i know
Hi, I am new here, and I believe that I can relate to the problem as posted by Jono. I am 33, coming to 34, and whenever I exert pressure (e.g. going to the loo), I have this sharp pain in exactly the same position as described by Jono, and the pain will subside in about 30 sec or so. It just happened to me as recently as last week.

However, I have not visited a doctor for this problem as I never gave it a second thought, but to be on the safe side, what should I do to be sure? I do not smoke, drink minimally and my BMI is 27.

Greatly appreciate your inputs on this, thanks!