Heart Disease Expert Forum
constant chest pain for 2 weeks

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

constant chest pain for 2 weeks

I am 37 years old and a male.  I am 5'10" and 150 pounds.  non- smoker.  I have no health problems except for acid rhe reflux.  My symptoms began on saturday  4-10-2010 at about 3 am.  I felt a tightness in my chest and a pain in the center of my chest.  On Sunday 4-11-2010 my chest felt sore all day.  On Monday 4-12-2010 my chest still felt sore and so I went to the ER on Monday at 6 pm.  The ER doctor ran chest x-ray, EKG or ECG, blood test, hooked me to a heart monitor for three hours, and he listened to my heart and lungs.  The ER doctor said all the test where good and sent me home.  I went to my family doctor a week later.  He listened to my heart and said it sounds good and there is no heart murmurs. He sent me home with prilosec.  It has felt better for a week now but just yesterday I raised my voice a little and noticed my chest is feeling sore again.  I did start drinking tea again.  Is the blood test the ER performed on me still reliable at 3 days or 67 hours from when I had my first initial chest pain on Saturday 4-10-2010 at 3 am?  How accurate are these test that were performed in the ER?
     Thank you for your help doctor
Oftentimes, problems of acid reflux can mimic the symptoms of a heart attack. That is why your primary care doctor prescribed Prilosec, which is an acid reflux medication. You should also, reduce your intake of food and drink which causes an excess of acid in your stomach...coffee, coca cola, tea, spicy foods, etc. Obviously, the ER doctor and your primary doctor have found nothing to indicate any cardiac problems...so don't worry.  The "soreness" in your chest is most likely, muscular, or what is referred to as "costochrondritis" which is an inflammationof the cartilage of your ribs and can occur from any type of physical activity or exertion. Take Motrin for this type of chest pain.
The tests that were done are very accurate but they only apply to the day when they were performed.  It doesn't sound like your symptoms are heart related at all.  It is more likely they you pulled one of the intercostal muscles and that's what's causing your symptoms.  I would recommend taking some ibuprofen to help with the inflammation and with time that should really help you feel better.