Heart Disease Expert Forum
fast heart rate and pregnant

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

fast heart rate and pregnant

I am 31 yrs old and 24 weeks pregnant. I have had a fast heart rate and shortness of breath for about 2 months. My resting hr is about 110-120bpm and if I do anything it goes over 130 and has been over 200, it is never under 100. Is this something to worry about or is this normal in pregnancy? I have had 2 other children and did not have this before. At my last visit I told my OB and he told me to hold my breath or to tense up like I am trying to have a bowel movement, which is easier said than done but it doesn't seem to help. Am I just overreacting or should I be concerned and what could be causeing this to happen. I am not over weight and am in pretty good shape.
                              thanks
Dear Froggur,

Sorry to hear about your rapid heart rate. This is likely related to the changes in blood volume that occur with pregnancy.
If you are experiencing episodes of palpitations with a heart rate ~200, SVT is the likely cause. If this is SVT it is a benign condition which more of a bother than a marker for long term risk. I think your obstetrician's recommendations are reasonable.  However, you may consider seeing a cardiologist for an echocardiogram to make sure there are no underlying heart defects which may have resulted in this rhythm disturbance. The cardiologist should also perform a holter monitor  and/or event monitor study to further characterize the type of rhythm disturbance you are experiencing. This is something that will probably resolve after the delivery of your child. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your question,

CCF-MD-KE
hi i have a 19 year old daughter who had a baby 5 months ago and with her ob visits we noticed her heart rate was always a little over 100 her doctor said it was probly due to her pregnancy but we have bin checking it at home with a monitor and it is still always between 95 at rest to around 135 when active she says she does not feel a thing any racing or palpatations but i am concerned is this normal. thanks for any info on this matter.