Heart Disease Expert Forum
heart murmur grades

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

heart murmur grades
My doctor says that I have a grade II-III/VI mid to late systolic murmur. What does this mean exactly? How can a murmur be classified as II-III/VI, doesn't the scale only go from I to VI?
The scale goes from 0 (none) to 4 (severe) and can be graded as a whole number or "in-between" numbers as in 3-4.  2-3/4 is rather a broad ranking and probably means moderate to severe.
Sorry, I misread your question and thought it pertained to echo findings.  Heart murmurs by stethoscope are graded from 0 to 6 and yours is 2-3 which is moderate.
What does it mean if you have a severe murmer verses a moderate?  Does this coupled with pvc's increase a chance of heart problems?  I have been diagnosed with pvc, mvp and a heart murmer.  Thank you for your help.

Marie
The severity of the murmur does not always correlate with the severity of the valvular problem. Loud murmurs may be associated with mild problems and visa-versa.  There is no relation between murmurs and PVCs.
When undergoing an echocardiogram, what are peak ratings and what is their significance?
0 - NONE TO 4 - SEVERE