Heart Disease Expert Forum
heart murmur grades
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
heart murmur grades
My doctor says that I have a grade II-III/VI mid to late systolic murmur. What does this mean exactly? How can a murmur be classified as II-III/VI, doesn't the scale only go from I to VI?
Discussion is closed
Cancel
6 Answers
Page 1 of 1
238668_tn?1232735930
The scale goes from 0 (none) to 4 (severe) and can be graded as a whole number or "in-between" numbers as in 3-4.  2-3/4 is rather a broad ranking and probably means moderate to severe.
Discussion is closed
Cancel
238668_tn?1232735930
Sorry, I misread your question and thought it pertained to echo findings.  Heart murmurs by stethoscope are graded from 0 to 6 and yours is 2-3 which is moderate.
Discussion is closed
Cancel
What does it mean if you have a severe murmer verses a moderate?  Does this coupled with pvc's increase a chance of heart problems?  I have been diagnosed with pvc, mvp and a heart murmer.  Thank you for your help.

Marie
Discussion is closed
Cancel
238668_tn?1232735930
The severity of the murmur does not always correlate with the severity of the valvular problem. Loud murmurs may be associated with mild problems and visa-versa.  There is no relation between murmurs and PVCs.
Discussion is closed
Cancel
When undergoing an echocardiogram, what are peak ratings and what is their significance?
Discussion is closed
Cancel
238668_tn?1232735930
0 - NONE TO 4 - SEVERE
Discussion is closed
Cancel
A
A
Blank
Request an Appointment
Blank
Weight Tracker