Heart Disease Expert Forum
heart palps

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

heart palps

Are heart palpitations bad? I have had a treadmill test with and echo as well as a heart monitor twice for 24 hours. Plus chest ct scan of my chest w/dye. I have these episodes where I feel my heart flutter or skip maybe a beat and it takes my breath away and then immediately panic sets in and then i shake uncontrollably and my heart rate goes up to 130 beats, this all happens before I know what is going on, within seconds, before I can stop it. This happened the other night and I had chest pains with it so I went to the ER. They did and EKG and monitored my heart for about 1/2 hour, all okay. Could this just have been a panic attack? I felt horrible the next day, tired and heart palps all morning, short of breath, very tired. Better today but still tired. Are there other tests I should have done on my heart? I am 33, healthy, eat very well, good cholesteral, I do smoke 1 pack per day, active. I am dizzy most days and have been for 3 years with no dx. When I do aerobic exercise, i get dizzy but that could be anxiety over my heart? The more I exercise, the worse the underlying dizziness seems to get, it is there daily. I am really getting scared to move. Any suggestions on how to proceed? I have seen multiple drs - neuro, gp, therapist, sleep doctor, cardio, ent, no dx. Where do I go from here? Thanks!
You should have an event monitor.  This device which you could wear up to 2 months is worn daily and when you do develop any symptoms you activate it.  It then records your ekg and can transmit it to you doctor.
I have basically the exact same symptoms only I also have continuous discomfort in my chest,  unrelated to physical activity.    I wish I knew!    we are in the same boat.    

Was your chest CT  a cardiac CTA where you had to take a drug to slow your heart first?
The chest CT scan I had was due to shortness of breath. It was a scan of my chest that also showed my heart, w/dye. Northing abnormal showed. What is a cardiac CTA? At the time I had this one done, I was having fast heartbeats. What kind of discomfort do you have in your chest? Do you experience dizziness as well?
have you had a stress/nuclear test done.  
Yeah, I've been having these too. I get a en extra heart beat now and then that scares the **** out of me. A lot of people suffer from this so don't you worry. There are some people that get PVC's and PAC arrhythmias (skipping) hundreds a time a day though doctors say it won't effect your longevity. It's really hard to put a finger on a diagnosis since a lot of peoples body act differently to stress and also live different lifestyles.

I also smoke a pack a day and have anxiety/stress. I also live like a hermit and get lonely a lot.  I would get them 1-3 times a day, maybe every other day, then sometimes not at all for a month or two.

Most of it has to do with fear. When I'm confronted with 4-5 levels of stairs, I start thinking of my palps or my anxiety kicks in and by the end of those stairs I feel worn and out of breath. Though for some reason I can go to the gym and run 3.5 miles on a incline and feel great afterwards. You seem like you're in my shoes - scared to death! You also have to remember while smoking and doing vigorating exercise, you're also putting a lot of stress on your heart and cardiovascular system. Not only does nicotine raise your blood pressure and heart rate, the carbon monoxide from smoking in your blood chokes your heart of much needed oxygen. That's one more thing me and you have in common, we're putting a lot of stress on our hearts. I recently quit 3-4 days ago and I all ready feel a ton better. Though even after quitting, you're bound to get a skipped or double heart beat because you learned this is just a way your body deals with stress. Palps are caused by thousands of different reasons: anxiety, fear, over exercising, dehydration, over hydration, lack of sleep, exhaustion, caffeine, smoking...

Do your self a favor first, and quit smoking!!!!! Ask your  doc about Chantix . It works miracles for many people who want to quit. Though ...you have to want to quit.
And yes, I also get tightness and sore in the chest.