Heart Disease Expert Forum
mild leak in the heart mitral valve and wisdom tooth

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

To whom it may concern,

I have two questions regarding my heart:

I recently did a stress test and ultra sound and bothh tests were ok. The doctor told I was healthy and all was in the norm. He told me though I had a very small leak in themitral valve, but said it was normal and that it is very common. Question number 1: Is it ok to have this leak? IS it common?

Question number 2:

Just a few days ago I started to feel very bad due to a wisdom tooth infection...in thepast when my wisdom tooth would inflamate it would eventually go down, so I waited 3 days..Aftet the third day feeling horrible I went to the dentist and he gave me amoxiline and antifamatory medicine. The day after I took the wisdom tooth out and now I am recuperating.

Question number 2: Will those 3 days when my tooth started to infect could cause any trouble iin my heart? Like I said I am now taking amoxiline and took the tooth out.

Thank you and best regards.
Without having access to either the report or your images of your stress test and echocardiogram, I suspect that it reported some "trivial" amount of mitral regurgitation, which I can assure you is a benign finding.  In the absence of any other structural abnormalities such as mitral valve prolapse, a trivial or even small degree of "leakiness" is not a significant finding and also does not warrant any concern for antibiotic prophylaxis or increasing your risk of developing endocarditis (infection of the heart valves).
Just wanted to add I am 30 years of age and do not smoke and love sports...
Thank you I now feel more secured...have a great day!
Hello again...

Just wanted to know and by the way thank you for this service if I should be concerned about endocarditis in the situation I went trough...

Like I said my wisdom tooth got inflamated and infected...it took me 3 days to start taking amoxiline, and on the fourth day I took the tooth out...please I am just not sure if I took medication in time...

Thank you