Heart Disease Community
perimyorcarditis misdiagnosis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

perimyorcarditis misdiagnosis

I wonder if anyone can shed some light on the following? I am a 29 year old healthy male of slim build with no family history of cardio related problems. In late november i began suffering from severe chest pain.A week prior to this i had a bout of gastroenteritis which is the main reason for the diagnosis that i recieved, as apparantly viral perimyocarditis. The pain was generally centralized in my chest and burning in nature. I also had a stabbing pain radiating across my the left and right of my chest. When the Chest pain was at its most severe i arrived at a&e and was given ecg's which were normal and sent home. I returned to a&e the following night in severe pain only to be brushed away again following a normal ecg. Finally on night 3 when i returned, the doctors tested my blood and found that my troponin was at 9.9. I was admitted and trops gradually returned to normal over the course of 4 days during which time i recieved an echo which appeared normal. I remained an inpatient for 3 weeks under observation during which time i was given a cardiac mra, and then an angiogram. Both of these tests were normal. Doctors maintained throughout that it was likely a combination of peri and myocarditis. I find it difficult to believe that my trops could be so high, and yet there was no visible inflamation (inflammation) of the heart when an echo was completed if this diagnosis was correct? I am still experiencing some very uncomfortable chest pain up until now, which has prevented me returning to work and affected my qualitiy of life. I have been admitted over night on two seperate occasions following my initial admission Both times showed ectopics on the ecg but normal blood work.

Im not buying it! - Though i know my cardiology team checked for other possible causes Im convinced that they have missed something. One of my questions is whether a dorment tropical disease inherited by numerous visits to rural africa could be responsible and have slipped under the net? I have had several bouts of vomiting during the past few months which is very abnormal for me.

Also how likely is it that this could have been a heart attack?

Help please, I really need to check under every possible stone!